Migration from Blackboard

Migration from Blackboard

by Deb Rymer -
Number of replies: 17

We have had a teacher development website hosted by Blackboard Coursesites (for free) for several years. They are discontinuing this platform on 8/31/21. Has anyone here migrated their BB hosted site to Moodle? How did you approach the migration and the hosting? Thanks so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deb Rymer

Re: Migration from Blackboard

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Moodle can import Blackboard question pools, so make sure to try this, if needed.

Other than that, open Blackboard in a left-side browser, open Moodle in a right-side browser, and recreate every resource and activity in Moodle. Because all LMSs use different internal structures, there really is no automatic way around it, even though some LMS will claim there is. The advantage of having instructors recreate their course in Moodle is that they are forced to learn Moodle, and they might even learn a few new features that Moodle provides that Blackboard did not.

Others here on Moodle.org might have a few more suggestions.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Deb Rymer -
Thanks so much, Rick. Is there any chance you would be available for a quick conversation re: best approach for us with Moodle Cloud and re-creating this system?
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Rick Jerz -
Which MoodleCloud are you thinking about getting? There are many: Starter, Mini, Small, Medium, or Large?

How many courses do you have, and how many students?  What "activities" do your courses contain?  Quizzes?  Discussions?  Others?

Yes, I too have (had) a Blackboard Coursesites account. Yep, I see that the end of life is 8/21. But quite honestly, I didn't use this much. My experience was with Blackboard9. Coursesites was using the newer Blackboard system. Blackboard seems to be struggling, big time.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Deb Rymer -
Thanks so much! Here is a little info on our current BB system. We have only 1 course. It is a repository of teacher development resources. There are about 10 major topics each with 10-20 folders of information in them which might go down another level or 2. Many of the topics are linked to other topics on the site. There are some embedded videos, but mainly text in a folder, attached files and links to internet resources. The total size, per BB, was 653 MG and we have around 70-80 total users. We don't use discussions or have interactive content. This resource is for teachers only - so no homework, quizzes, grades, tests, etc. It is quite simplistic in structure.

I was thinking of getting the Moodle Cloud size that would accommodate the 80 users and 650MG of data. My understanding is that Moodle Cloud will handle backups and upgrades. If we go ahead and build this ourselves, is there any other support might we need on an ongoing basis?
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Rick Jerz -
Do you have a screenshot of a few of these topics, as they exist on Coursesites?

It appears to me, based upon what you have said, that you would need a "small" MoodleCloud, which is $390/year. However, I wonder about your embedded videos and whether they could be moved to Youtube or somewhere else.

It appears that you are using Coursesites as a way to organize instructional materials, as opposed to "running courses." Yep, simple structure. However, once your teachers see what Moodle can do, their needs may grow. Do you have any other system right now, other than Coursesites, that supplements the Coursesites' role?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Deb Rymer -
Hi Rick. Correct - we are not "running courses." We are a church-based ESOL program with all volunteer teachers, so it is unlikely that any would want to put in the time to use the "courses" capabilities. Our videos may just be linked - can certainly check on that to save space. Are there any other support services we might need ongoing if we went with MoodleCloud for hosting and handling upgrades? Here are a couple of screenshots, as requested.  This is the top level of one topic "Textbook Tips". Then you drill down into a text to find the second shot.
And then that drills down into more details for that text.

Thanks again for all of your help on this.
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Rick Jerz -
Looks doable. You have some flexibility with Moodle to put things into separate topics. And a Moodle folder can contain files. In my courses, I don't use folders, I put everything in a topic. I don't know if Moodle supports folders in folders. My screenshot below is a very quick illustration of what you might do.

Another thing that you can do as you explore is to load Moodle on your computer. This is often referred to as a "sandbox." I gave a presentation showing how to do this a few years ago.  This sandbox is not on the Internet, it is on your computer.  A sandbox also allows you to learn Moodle features.

MoodleMoot2019 (Global and Mountain), "How to Install a “Sandbox” Moodle on Your Windows PC/Mac"

MoodleCloud should work fine. You don't get to add plugins, but for what you are trying to do, you should be in good shape. I think that you can start with the smallest MoodleCloud, and then when you need more than 50 users, upgrade. Explore this possibility with the MoodleCloud folks.

As Nurbek mentions, you might save some money with your own VPS.  However, this can come later.  A VPS requires more knowledge.
Attachment Debs Course.png
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Nurbek Tentiev -

Taking into account what you have said, I think the best way will be the re-creating everything in Moodle. Migrating just one course with so-called "static" data such as folders and files and perhaps some html resources is not the task for which you need to waste time for looking for any automated ways.

To move 70-80 user accounts you can export entries from the database and import into Moodle letting users to reset password themselves. With this you will also see how your users are active or not with using the platform and the current status of their email addresses.

if I were at your situation I would probably choose VPS hosting. In my or neighboring countries I can find server with 2-3 CPUs, 1,5-6 Gb RAM and 30-80 Gb of disk space (perhaps even on SSD drive) for about $170-190 USD per year. MoodleCloud offers not so good options.

In reply to Nurbek Tentiev

by Deb Rymer -
Thanks very much, Nurbek. It sounds like your solution is less expensive. Do they include keeping Moodle up to date with upgrades, or is that something you do for yourself?
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Rick Jerz -
Nurbek might say more, but I would answer your question by saying that it is more common for you to have to worry about upgrading your Moodle, and also configuring it.

MoodleCloud is most similar to the Blackboard Coursesites that you have been using.
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Nurbek Tentiev -
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. It is just a general name of service created by software virtualization on the hosting company servers that functions like a dedicated physical server. So, VPS is not a company nor a service provider. Obviously, you will need to install operating system, set it up correctly, configure all needed services required for running the web server and finally install Moodle.

Maintaining the server, updating its all systems (WWW, PHP, mail, DB, SSL and so on), including Moodle, and making sure that they are up to date, will be under your full responsibility.

Thus, this approach may not work for you. For non IT it is more complicated in terms of knowledge and expertise needed for dealing with all those stuff.

by Rick Jerz -
I'll add a little to what Nurbek has said.
Depending upon where you buy a VPS, you do not need to install an operating system and configure it. This is what I like about the VPS (that I happen to buy from GoDaddy, no affiliation or ad.) It comes 95% configured. But you still need to know how to finish that remaining 5%!
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Deb Rymer -
Thanks so much, Rick and Nurbek. Given that we do not have any IT staff to draw upon, it looks like Moodle Cloud will be our best bet. I really appreciate all the input and help!
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Nurbek Tentiev -
The ease of migration will very much depend on how your Blackboard is big in terms of number of users, number of courses and number of resources in them.

by Deb Rymer -
Thanks so much, Nurbek. I just posted more details about our system in a reply to Rick Jerz.
In reply to Deb Rymer

by Andy Hicken -
Deb - I do not know if this feature is available in CourseSites, but there is a standard called Common Cartridge that is supported in Moodle and will allow some migration of content between systems. You basically export a course as a "package" from LMS A, and then import it into LMS B.

This Blackboard support page says you can export in Common Cartridge format: https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Instructor/Course_Content/Reuse_Content/Export_and_Archive_Courses

Export a course in common cartridge format

Control Panel > Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course > Export Common Cartridge Package > Submit

To export the package in common cartridge 1.1 or 1.2 formats, select the appropriate check box. If you don't select a check box, the course will export in common cartridge 1.0 format. The preferred version depends on the system where the package will be imported supporting version 1.1 or 1.2.

Here is the Moodle import documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/IMS_Common_Cartridge_import_and_export

I wouldn't count on this working until I tested it. But I would definitely test it!

All the best,
Andy
Average of ratings: Useful (1)