We have had a teacher development website hosted by Blackboard Coursesites (for free) for several years. They are discontinuing this platform on 8/31/21. Has anyone here migrated their BB hosted site to Moodle? How did you approach the migration and the hosting? Thanks so much!
Other than that, open Blackboard in a left-side browser, open Moodle in a right-side browser, and recreate every resource and activity in Moodle. Because all LMSs use different internal structures, there really is no automatic way around it, even though some LMS will claim there is. The advantage of having instructors recreate their course in Moodle is that they are forced to learn Moodle, and they might even learn a few new features that Moodle provides that Blackboard did not.
Others here on Moodle.org might have a few more suggestions.
How many courses do you have, and how many students? What "activities" do your courses contain? Quizzes? Discussions? Others?
Yes, I too have (had) a Blackboard Coursesites account. Yep, I see that the end of life is 8/21. But quite honestly, I didn't use this much. My experience was with Blackboard9. Coursesites was using the newer Blackboard system. Blackboard seems to be struggling, big time.
I was thinking of getting the Moodle Cloud size that would accommodate the 80 users and 650MG of data. My understanding is that Moodle Cloud will handle backups and upgrades. If we go ahead and build this ourselves, is there any other support might we need on an ongoing basis?
It appears to me, based upon what you have said, that you would need a "small" MoodleCloud, which is $390/year. However, I wonder about your embedded videos and whether they could be moved to Youtube or somewhere else.
It appears that you are using Coursesites as a way to organize instructional materials, as opposed to "running courses." Yep, simple structure. However, once your teachers see what Moodle can do, their needs may grow. Do you have any other system right now, other than Coursesites, that supplements the Coursesites' role?
Another thing that you can do as you explore is to load Moodle on your computer. This is often referred to as a "sandbox." I gave a presentation showing how to do this a few years ago. This sandbox is not on the Internet, it is on your computer. A sandbox also allows you to learn Moodle features.
MoodleCloud should work fine. You don't get to add plugins, but for what you are trying to do, you should be in good shape. I think that you can start with the smallest MoodleCloud, and then when you need more than 50 users, upgrade. Explore this possibility with the MoodleCloud folks.
Taking into account what you have said, I think the best way will be the re-creating everything in Moodle. Migrating just one course with so-called "static" data such as folders and files and perhaps some html resources is not the task for which you need to waste time for looking for any automated ways.
To move 70-80 user accounts you can export entries from the database and import into Moodle letting users to reset password themselves. With this you will also see how your users are active or not with using the platform and the current status of their email addresses.
if I were at your situation I would probably choose VPS hosting. In my or neighboring countries I can find server with 2-3 CPUs, 1,5-6 Gb RAM and 30-80 Gb of disk space (perhaps even on SSD drive) for about $170-190 USD per year. MoodleCloud offers not so good options.
MoodleCloud is most similar to the Blackboard Coursesites that you have been using.
Maintaining the server, updating its all systems (WWW, PHP, mail, DB, SSL and so on), including Moodle, and making sure that they are up to date, will be under your full responsibility.
Thus, this approach may not work for you. For non IT it is more complicated in terms of knowledge and expertise needed for dealing with all those stuff.
Depending upon where you buy a VPS, you do not need to install an operating system and configure it. This is what I like about the VPS (that I happen to buy from GoDaddy, no affiliation or ad.) It comes 95% configured. But you still need to know how to finish that remaining 5%!
This Blackboard support page says you can export in Common Cartridge format: https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Instructor/Course_Content/Reuse_Content/Export_and_Archive_Courses
Control Panel > Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course > Export Common Cartridge Package > Submit
To export the package in common cartridge 1.1 or 1.2 formats, select the appropriate check box. If you don't select a check box, the course will export in common cartridge 1.0 format. The preferred version depends on the system where the package will be imported supporting version 1.1 or 1.2.
Here is the Moodle import documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/IMS_Common_Cartridge_import_and_export