WebCT Quiz Migration Tool beta testing

WebCT Quiz Migration Tool beta testing

autor Eric Schewe -
Počet odpovedí: 19

Hello everyone,

I've been working on a tool for the last few weeks that allows faculty to migrate their quizzes from WebCT 4.1CE directly into Moodle here at Malaspina University College (http://mala.bc.ca/)

Don't confuse this with the current import that is available, this one is different. Presently if you wish to export and import quizzes into Moodle from WebCT you must export them one at a time in a text based format and import them into Moodle. This tool allows you to use the 'Export' feature in WebCT to download a zip file that has your quizzes and any attached images in it. With the zip file you then can upload it to Moodle and unzip it. Then use the WebCT Quiz Migration Block to load the imsmanifest.xml file and have the tool do the importing for you all at once and preserve your images, questions and quiz structures if you have used any in quizzes.

Currently the tool can do a few things. It can import categories and associate questions that belong to those categories. It can also import Short Answer (Fill in the blank), Multiple Choice and Matching questions. It will also import all images that maybe used in these questions. I'm waiting for Moodle 1.6 to be released to add Paragraph question support and am looking for examples of Calculated questions to add that support and then once all question types are supported I will code in quiz structure recreation.

There is also error checking implemented where if a question cannot be imported into Moodle with 100% accuracy it will attach a note to the question and the reason why this question needs to be fixed. An example of this would be say the grade value you've assigned to an answer in your WebCT quiz doesn't match any of the grade values you can assign from Moodle. Another example is the Short Answer (Fill in the blank) questions. Presently Moodle (1.5.3) only allows one blank to be used where WebCT allows many. All the data IS imported into Moodle with this tool but only one blank is created and the user is informed the question will need some tweaking to work with Moodle.

The goal of this tool is to make migrating quizzes extremely simple and painless and as accurate as possible. My goal is to be able to take any question type over and recreate them along with the quiz structure.

I've setup a instance of Moodle on one of my servers for testing this block. I've tested with examples from our current WebCT courses but no true testing is complete without user feedback and real-world examples.

I'm looking for anyone interested in trying this tool out using quizzes from their existing WebCT courses. You can access the instance of Moodle here: http://pilot.malaonline.ca/. Just sign-up for an account and e-mail me (schewee@mala.bc.ca) and I will create you a course to test the block with.

Any feedback or bug reports would be very much appreciated.

Also if anyone has some good examples of WebCT Calculated questions and doesn't mind parting with a copy of them I would love to use them to add importing of Calculated questions to the tool.

Priemer hodnotení : -
V odpovedi na Eric Schewe

Re: WebCT Quiz Migration Tool beta testing

autor Howard Miller -
Obrázok: Core developers Obrázok: Documentation writers Obrázok: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázok: Peer reviewers Obrázok: Plugin developers
Is this coded as a quiz import plugin (format.php etc). If so, I'm keen to see this - the current import is less than perfect and yours sounds like a great replacement.

autor Pierre Pichet -

Dear Eric Scheme,
I am quite happy of  the work you have done.
At Université du Québec à Montréal we will migrate from webct to moodle in 2007.
http://moodleinfo.uqam.ca/
As chemistry professor I use calculated question quizzes in many course so I was beginning to debug for Moodle 1,6 the webct import module webct/format.php.
You will find as an attachement a zip file containing a experimental webct/format.phpfile (it has a lot of echo to follow the processing) and two files containing a calculated question to test it.
As the data structure was modified in 1,6 this version cannot work readily in your 1,5 installation. I will add to this post soon (tomorow?) a version for calculated problems that should work in 1,5.

I will be happy to collaborate in testing your code and helping you to port it to moodle 1,6
Pierre Pichet
P.S. My recent post in moodle Quiz module forum

Moodle 1.6 importing WEBCT calculated question
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=41743
V odpovedi na Pierre Pichet

autor Howard Miller -
Obrázok: Core developers Obrázok: Documentation writers Obrázok: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázok: Peer reviewers Obrázok: Plugin developers
Just to reiterate that if there is any way we can get some of this work into 1.6 I will be happy to help out here. Time is short though!
V odpovedi na Howard Miller

autor Pierre Pichet -
I am setting a moodle 1.6 site (2 days from now) so the format.php/webct/format.php could be tested on all types of questions including calculated ones.
I have made some tests on the interface.
This sound great but the differences between the two system ( moodle and webct) are important.  I did some tests on his 1,5 version and offered my collaboration to Eric to complete the 1,5 format.php for calculated question and helping to port to 1.6 all his interface.
V odpovedi na Howard Miller

autor Eric Schewe -
I do believe the tool I've created works in Moodle 1.6. We do have it installed in an instance of 1.6 but I haven't tested it yet.

autor Pierre Pichet -

Beside the fact that the modules format were reordered under question and not quizz the code has not changed greatly.
The important new constraint will be to convert all text input in utf8 and they are discussing where to put the conversion probably in a front common interface.
I suppose that you have not change the webct/format.php file and I will  be able to post this night or tomorrow two modified webct/format.php (1,5 and 1,6) that you could use in your setup.
Doing a good class design of these files sould necessitate to rewrite part of abstractype.php, questiontype.php and dataisetitems.php which could take time and numerous design discussions.
First, we will try to do the work and after put some elegance in it.

I have already donwloaded on your site a quite complex set of quizzes as you surely have seen.

To test the new webct/format.php files (1,5 and 1,6) I am setting a web site where everybody could test the import of questions (not quizz) from webct.
the adresses should be www.chimie.uqam.ca/moodle for 1,5 and www.chimie.uqam.ca/moodle16 for 1,6.

They should be active in 2 days.

autor Eric Schewe -
As promised here is a demonstration of the tool from start to finish.

autor Pierre Pichet -

Your demonstration is a  very good one and illustrates the utility of your tool.

At UQAM we are very pleased of the developpment of such tool for all of those migrating from webct to moodle.

autor X MAN -
did u check whether the pictures or flash, in the questions can also be correctly import, for example the equation is in gif format.etc
V odpovedi na X MAN

autor Eric Schewe -
If the image/flash you speak of is linked into the question using the built-in method with WebCT then yes it is exported / imported just fine. If you are linking to a resource inside your questions text then no, the image is not carried over and the link would have to be updated.

autor Ghassan Geara -

Hi Eric,

It has been since March 2006 that we didn't hear anything regarding this WebCT 4.1 to Moodle 1.6 conversion tool.

Anything new on this side? Was it finalized? Where can we test/download it?

Thanks for any help. We have lot of instructors willing to use this conversion tool to convert their Questions databank into Moodle 1.6.x.

Cheers,

Ghassan

V odpovedi na Ghassan Geara

autor Eric Schewe -
Yes a few months ago I released a copy of it for everyone. You can find it here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=510

autor Pierre Pichet -

Hi Eric

Have you been able to work on it after the release?

For example the problem of the images in the question text.

Or life is so full of interesting things to do...

autor Ghassan Geara -

Thx Eric for ur reply.

Hope u'll be able to enjoy life while still fixing the other points pending (images in questions,...) Mrnutie

Ghassan

V odpovedi na Ghassan Geara

autor Eric Schewe -
My hope is to be able to sit down and do some fixing. I am not given time to work on this tool anymore at my job so I've basically got to get some free time.

autor Pierre Pichet -

Hi Eric

I am fixing the other possible migration tool from WebCt to Moodle which use a special file output that the WebCt adminitrator can use to output entire courses.

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=94

This should be fixed in the next days.

I will look to your Migration tool after because the first one use also xml files in a .zip package and the files format are almost identical.

Pierre

V odpovedi na Pierre Pichet

autor Eric Schewe -
I remember that tool. We did originally look at using this tool but didn't like how you had to login to the server through a shell, install a tool and get content exports. Thats why I created my tool. It was designed so faculty members and not server admins could migrate their content. Also not everyone has root access to their WebCT Servers.

His tool is very good though, it did a pretty good job with most things.