Linking questions to students

Linking questions to students

by Laura Orynbay -
Number of replies: 8

Hi! Does Moodle have the ability to link questions to users (students)? The problem is this: we have a list of questions for each student in the database, which are already formed from the bank of questions. Now we need every student in Moodle to see and pass only their own test. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Orynbay

Re: Linking questions to students

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It's a bit of work, but you could create a question bank category for each student.

Have you thought about randomly picking questions so that students get unique quizzes?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Laura Orynbay -
Thanks for your answer! I have a list of questions that are already assigned to students, but they are all in the same course. That is, I don't want to Moodle to randomly distribute questions, but to display its own , initially defined list of questions for each of them.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Laura Orynbay -
Could you explain how to create question bank category for each student, please? via ID?

by Rick Jerz -
Go to your course, then click on the upper-right-side gear, pick More, then Question bank Categories. At the bottom, you can Add Categories. I would start with one called Students, then make another category for each student.

Once the categories are created, I would then move (or copy) the correct student questions into their category.

Then, you would need to create an individual quiz for each student, and restrict the quiz to only that student.

Maybe someone else will have a different suggestion, but this is how I would do it. By the way, I would never do this myself because it takes far too long. And editing questions becomes burdensome.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would really be interested to know, why you want to have different questions for each individual user? As Rick mentions, doing it the way he suggests, "editing questions becomes burdensome" and if we knew why you want to do it this way, we might be able to suggest something better and easier to do.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Laura Orynbay -
University students have two options for taking the test: the first is to take it through a mobile app, the second in Moodle. And we need them to have the same questions there and there (they are given only one attempt). It turns out that the bank of questions is in our database. And there, through a certain algorithm, a test has already been created for each student.

by Rick Jerz -
Why not tell students that they can choose between the mobile app or Moodle, but whichever place they choose they will have different questions randomly selected.

If you use the Moodle mobile app, and then restrict the quiz to one attempt, you might save yourself a lot of work.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)