Can't access streaming files with videojs from aws

Can't access streaming files with videojs from aws

by Kevin Price -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I'm setting up with a moodle instance on AWS. Moodle version 3.10.1

I want to stream my video content from s3 buckets using cloudfront.

The video distribution has 3 file types: HLS (m3u8), DASH (mpd) and an mp4.

Videojs player loads the mp4 without issue.

However, when I go to insert either the mpd or m3u8 files, I get the error message: Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH) filetype cannot be accepted, (or HTTP Live Streaming ... for HLS).

I have been struggling with this for days. Is there anyone with experience in this who can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

K

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Price

Re: Can't access streaming files with videojs from aws

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Kevin,
Neither of the file types, HLS (m3u8), DASH (mpd), are listed as something supported by the VideoJSto player in Moodle 3.10. However, I do have a Moodle 3.11 development site and .m3u8 and .mpd are shown as being supported in its VideoJS player.

In reply to Kevin Price

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You will need a plugin for VideoJS that supports HLS streaming.
https://videojs.github.io/videojs-contrib-hls/
(That page says the HLS plugin is deprecated. And suggests using VideoJS 7. So its a bit of a journey. )

Or use a player that supports streaming. We used to use Flowplayer for this.
I am sure Moodle has some plan for Video JS and support of streaming formats. Sorry I do not know what those are though.

It is possible to use Poodll filter(not free) or VideoEasy filter to develop custom mediaplayer templates. Those are both my projects and there are not yet any HLS streaming ones. I keep meaning to do that. I used to use flowplayer hls streaming with a custom videoeasy template but it was built for a particular site. But it worked fine in Moodle.

And it is also possible to write player plugins for Moodle itself. But there are not many yet. You can see some of those here:
https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=type:media
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Kevin Price -
Thanks Justin,

I have been able to solve the issue. The player functions fine.

I added 'video' to the filetype groups and the use the cloudfront url in the file picker. Unfortunately the file picker picks the s3 link directly from Amazon s3. I haven't found out how to place the cloudfront url in front of that other than to do it manually - which is a bit of a hassle, but I'm happy that it works.

K
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kevin Price

by Goal Fit -

Hello Kevin,

Can you please elaborate how you fixed the issue? I am facing exact same issue.
I have tried playing with filetype groups here http://13.235.49.1/moodle/admin/tool/filetypes/index.php but no luck

In reply to Goal Fit

by Goal Fit -
Just an update, I couldn't play HLS but DASH plays just fine.