VPL Update - 3.4.1: No Editor

VPL Update - 3.4.1: No Editor

by Garth Brady -
Number of replies: 5

Greetings,

Moodle: 20210308 (3.10.2)
Php 7.4

After a successful update to VPL 3.4.1, no code Editor appears for teachers or students (see screenshot).  This is on default Boost theme after having cleared caches.  Interestingly, after automatic plugin procedure finished, I was not taken to the VPL plugin overview page to review new features. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Garth Brady

Re: VPL Update - 3.4.1: No Editor

by Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Garth,
your question tells me that the note that resolves this issue in the "Learn more" was in a bad place or not clear.
I show below the updated text about this issue in the "Updating from previous versions" section of the release notes.

- Notice that in some cases, after the upgrade, the browser may not show the editor. This is due to the use by the browser of cached JavaScript code instead of the new one. To resolve this issue you must hold the Ctrl key and click the Reload button on the navigation toolbar. This action will instruct the browser to fully reload the page without using cache.

Best regards,
Juan Carlos.

P.S. This issue is not related to VPL, it is related to the configuration of the webserver and the browser.
In reply to Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino

by Garth Brady -
Hi Juan,

Thanks so much, and I'm terribly sorry to bother you over something so trivial. I had assumed that it was a server caching issue after I had purged all caches in Moodle and then refreshed the browser... It wasn't till I purged all the site data in my local browser that the .js scripts no longer conflicted. Thanks again! These updates are terrific!
In reply to Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino

by Garth Brady -
Hi Juan,

UPDATE:
I think this is my issue...  I've been experimenting with Cloudflare and I believe that it's Cloudflare serving up different cached versions of the site to different clients...  If this is not the issue, I'll report back and let you know.

OLDER POST:
I thought that this was a browser issue, but now I'm not so sure... I've had many students come to me and tell me that the ACE editor won't load (even after clearing all caches in multiple browsers including Edge, FIrefox, Chrome)... I even spent time with one student in particular today who downloaded a fresh copy of the latest Firefox (he had never installed it before) and went immediately to a VPL activity and could not get the Editor to load. For the purpose of the test, I had reset moodle to the default 'Boost' theme (and cleared all caches on the server). I asked him to use Developer tools to report any errors, and this is what came up (note that I removed the url of the site from the err message).

In reply to Garth Brady

by Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I wonder if there is some type of proxy or reverse proxy that interferes with the requests from the browsers to your server.

Good luck.

In reply to Garth Brady

by Garth Brady -
Yup, as I outlined above, it was Cloudflare... Interesting that the caching was so inconsistent.... Some of their servers must not have cleared their caches but when I forced the clear through Cloudflare's network, all was well.

Sorry for the non-moodle, non-vpl report!