VideoJS SyntaxError for video's when Moodle language is changed

VideoJS SyntaxError for video's when Moodle language is changed

by Jaco-Louis Kruger -
Number of replies: 2

Good day all

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

We are currently using Moodle 3.10+ (Build: 20201121) and we noticed that on some courses the following error message displayed when changing the site language from English to Afrikaans: "SyntaxError Unexpected end of JSON input". Please se the error message attached to this post.

After a long search for the cause, we found that video's do not display correctly in Moodle. After disabling VideoJS player in the "Manage media players" settings, the error message disappeared. We then enabled HTML5 video and the YouTube player in media players. All video's seem to be working after this change.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing similar issues. If there is another place where I can report this to be fixed in the VideoJS player code, please let me know.

Kind regards

Attachment 1.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jaco-Louis Kruger

Re: VideoJS SyntaxError for video's when Moodle language is changed

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This sounds like MDL-70535 which is fixed in Moodle 3.10.2. The fix was included in the weekly update to 3.10.1 in the first week of February 2021 – try to use the latest update when troubleshooting issues, test sites are good for this if you want to be conservative with updates on your production site.

In reply to Leon Stringer

Re: VideoJS SyntaxError for video's when Moodle language is changed

by Jaco-Louis Kruger -

Good day Leon

Thanks for the feedback. It appears that this is indeed the correct fix for this issue.

Kind regards