I just wanted to provide a quick overview of our plans for 2021.
Our main objectives for 2021 are:
- Improving the app UX (including usability, look&feel and performance)
- Achieving WCAG 2.1 AA compliance
- Adding more exclusive features to the BMA and Premium plans such as biometric login, additional statistics and customisation tools
- Including additional features and improvements in Moodle LMS (additional notifications, reports, performance improvements etc…)
- Improving community documentation. See for example the recently released “Moodle features for students” document
- Releasing Moodle App version 4.0
Android 4.4 users will not be able to upgrade to recent versions of the
Moodle App starting May 2021, the reason is that for all the necessary
accessibility work we will have to stop supporting very old Android
versions that do not work with modern development frameworks or
accessibility tools. They will still able to use previous versions of the Moodle app.
App version 4.0 (to be released around December) will require Moodle
LMS 3.5 onward. Requiring at least Moodle LMS 3.5 will help us remove
legacy code, simplify maintenance and improve the app performance in
Moodle Desktop development will be discontinued in May. There are several reasons for this discontinuation, including that Apple's recent changes in macOS provide support for iOS apps and Windows will soon offer support for Android apps.
Several improvements to support multi-tenant features are in progress, we will try to keep the Moodle Workplace app on top of the Moodle Workplace features.
May: Moodle Desktop discontinued for Windows, macOS and Linux
June: New Moodle App version WCAG 2.1 Leval AA compliant.
Android 4.4 users won't be able to upgrade to new features of the app
December: Moodle App 4.0, requiring Moodle LMS 3.5 to work
Kind regards, Juan