Hide quiz activity in gradebook

Hide quiz activity in gradebook

by Miguel Bejarano -
Number of replies: 9

Hello. How can I hide an "exam" activity in the gradebook?

I created a variable that averages a task and a test, but I want students to only see the variable and not the task or the test.

Thanks

(Edited by Helen Foster to edit the discussion subject - original submission Sunday, 7 March 2021, 7:28 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miguel Bejarano

Re: Hide Exam activity

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

You can hide the exam activity as follows:

1. In the grader report, turn editing on.
  2. In the Controls row, click the gear icon for the exam.
  3. Tick the box Hidden and save changes.

(You can also hide the exam from the Gradebook setup page by selecting Hide in the actions dropdown menu.)

In reply to Helen Foster

by Miguel Bejarano -

🙂 Hi Helen. 

_________________    ☹️  ________________

According to Google, it means: The fact that this grade item is hidden is controlled by the activity settings.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

"hide the exam from the Gradebook setup page by selecting Hide in the actions dropdown menu" doesn't work because "Hide" doesn't appear. All activities show "hide" options except exam activity.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I was looking for "activity settings" in exam activity configuration (Site administration), 

I was looking directly in the activity

I was looking even under the bed

Re: Hide quiz activity in gradebook

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Miguel,

It seems that my suggested method for hiding an activity only works for activities such as an assignment.

For a quiz activity, as you've found, there is no Hide option (even under the bed!) Instead, you can remove it from the gradebook completely by going to the edit quiz page and changing the maximum grade to zero.

However, if you remove the quiz activity from the gradebook, you can't use it in a grade calculation. I am going to move your discussion thread to the Quiz forum and hope that the quiz experts there can help!

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Hide quiz activity in gradebook

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I have a few courses with a quiz (hidden) and an assignment. The students only see the Course Total grade which is calculation of the Quiz and assignment grades.

for the Quiz activities - within the course the Review option = MARKS must be deselected to "hide" the quiz score.
In the Gradebook -
At the Grade category, section the Exclude empty grades checkbox must be deselected.
The category total is a sum of the maximum passing value of all activities . Quiz requires 90% the assignment 100% category total (and course total) = 190%.
Hide the Grade Item (quiz) - Hide the Category Total.
Select the Course grade settings:
a. At the Overview Report > Hide totals if they contain hidden items = Show totals including hidden items.
b. At the User Report > > Hide totals if they contain hidden items = Show totals including hidden items.

Kind Regards
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
As another idea, you can create a grade book category called something like "hidden quizzes," hide this category, and then move the quizzes that you want to hide into it.

Moodle's grade book is very powerful. The more complex your needs, the more time you will have to invest to learning all the powerful grade book features.

I wonder why you want to hide a quiz? Do you not want it to contribute to the students grade?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Miguel Bejarano -

Hi Rick,

Thanks; I did it;   Good idea.

by Rick Jerz -
Remember, when you want these quizzes to show, simply move them into a visible grade book category.

Make sure to practice what you are doing, viewing the grade book as a student, just to make sure the results are what you want.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually I think not being able to completely remove items from the gradebook has some drawbacks. For instance: a teacher that every week has some small formative quiz (and they can even multiply those per group) and doesn't want them to contribute to any calculation will end up with an impossible to maintain gradebook. Yes, he may move them to a different category and collapse it but he will have to deal with a lot of information that's not useful in that context. However, those quizzes are important, from a student perspective and the grades should be available in its context: the quiz itself. In the course gradebook they are not important.
We had several situations like those and IMHO this should be a possibility in the gradebook.
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Rick Jerz -
If you want to show a quiz, but have it not contribute to the overall grade, give it a value of "0" when you are in "edit quiz" mode. This will remove it from the grade book. Make sure to experiment so that you know exactly what you are doing.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)