Upgrading fail: 2007120101 to 2018050109

Re: Upgrading fail: 2007120101 to 2018050109

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ummm... Are you sure about the version number (2007120101)? That predates anything in Github and the plugins database.

In general, there are steps you have to go through to upgrade anything that old. If you are able to start over, which seems doubtful, you would need to upgrade Moodle with the plugins through those various Moodle / plugin stages.

For example, you cannot upgrade past Moodle 2.2 without first upgrading to 2.2. And there are more steps like that.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Timothy Linn -

Based on my limited three days of experience with maintaining Moodle, I could absolutely be wrong about the version number. That date pre-dates our switch from Blackboard to Moodle so it caught my eye as well. I'll include a screen capture that shows what I'm seeing.

Attachment plugins check.JPG
In reply to Timothy Linn

by Mike Churchward -
That's definitely showing that the current version is 2007120101, and if that's true, it predates 1.9.
What version of Moodle did your upgrade start at?
Is this a practice upgrade? Or are you already committed to a production upgrade?
Take a look at your table names. If there is a table named 'questionnaire_response_multiple' instead of 'questionnaire_resp_multiple', then you definitely have a version that old.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Timothy Linn -
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this, Mike. I don't know our original version of Moodle. The person who handled our IT needs is no longer with our organization and my expertise is in video production. Our current Moodle version is at 3.5.1+. It has been suggested by others in another thread that our former IT guy upgraded Moodle, maybe more than once, without first upgrading the plugins (and who knows what else). I got into this situation because I was trying to add a new plugin and couldn't get past this plugins check. I canceled the installation of the new plugin but I remain stranded here, apparently until I can resolve this issue with the outdated Questionnaire plugin.

It has been suggested that deleting the mod/questionnaire/ directory would change the plugin check status to "Missing from disk!" without deleting the actual questionnaires in our courses. This would allow me to at least get back into Moodle's administrative controls. This idea has led me to wonder if I couldn't move the Questionnaire plugin directory, install the other plugin, then put the mod/questionnaire directory back in place. This wouldn't solve the problem of upgrading Questionnaire but it might at least let me get back to where I started and get the additional plugin installed. What do you think? I don't see any other way forward. I have heard of MySQL but I know *nothing* about it or how to search and manipulate database data so a manual correction that a more competent person might attempt isn't an easy option for me.
In reply to Timothy Linn

by Mike Churchward -
You can "hide" the directory without moving it (rename it to "questionnaire.hide" for example). But as you point out, that will not correct any of the problems with the questionnaire but might get you past the upgrade for other plugins.
Good luck.

by Timothy Linn -

Thanks, Mike. I'll give it a go. In the long term, is there any solution to the upgrade problem that doesn't involve manually operating on a database or uninstalling the plugin and starting over from scratch?

In reply to Timothy Linn

by Mike Churchward -

There is no easy solution, no. You have to upgrade with the different versions of Moodle and plugins together, at least at critical steps. This is because some of Moodle's and plugins' APIs change. Likely what has happened is an upgrade step is trying to call a function that no longer exists. You may have the same problem with other plugins even if they don't fail at the upgrade page.

It might be possible to look at every upgrade step from way back to see if you can figure out alternate ways to perform them, but otherwise starting from scratch might be your only option.

by Timothy Linn -

Okay. Again, thank you for taking the time to help. Much appreciated. Fortunately, starting from scratch isn't the end of the world.