Separate markers for separate assignment questions

Separate markers for separate assignment questions

by Matt Williams -
Number of replies: 0

Hi there,

I am a lecturer at a university where we use a version of moodle called "Stream". I thus don't know exactly which version of Moodle it corresponds to.

In my teaching I often come across the scenario of a written assessment made up of multiple questions, where it is desirable for different markers to mark different questions. This can be useful in team-taught courses where different teachers have different areas of expertise. It can also be useful for sheer consistency and fairness (e.g., if Stuart is a harsher marker than Jane, but every student has one question marked by Jane and one by Stuart, no student is disadvantaged by a harsher marker).

Currently, it is difficult to have different markers marking different questions when using the Assignment tool. It's obviously possible to set up a rubric or marking guide for different questions. But if a marker tries to mark one question (e.g., enter a mark in one part of a marking guide) while leaving the rest unmarked Moodle won't allow the marks and feedback to be saved (unless they put zeroes as stand-in marks for the meantime). It's also possible for multiple markers to then end up saving feedback at overlapping times, potentially causing mark feedback to be lost.

The Quiz tool does facilitate separate markers marking different questions, but in turn comes with downsides. For example, it does not currently have Turnitin integration (albeit I know this is planned for release soon). A quiz also requires the student to submit work for different question separately (e.g., in different text boxes). The fact that "Assignment" allows students to work on a multi-question assignment offline in a Word document and then just submit a single file is quite attractive from their side.

So I wonder:
1. Might it be possible to update the Assignment tool to facilitate a marking workflow where separate markers are assigned different questions (or parts of a marking guide/rubric) to mark, and can enter marks and feedback for one question (/part of a marking guide) at a time only? (I know there has been some discussion of related issues before but I'm not clear on the current status of this issue).
2. Does anyone have any tips on other workarounds for the situation I'm describing?

Hope this question makes sense!
Matt

Average of ratings: -