cannot create H5P content in Moodle 3.10, Boost theme

Re: cannot create H5P content in Moodle 3.10, Boost theme

by Four Buckets Design -
Number of replies: 15
Had a colleague replicate this attempt on his computer in a different part of Canada; experienced the same thing.
In reply to Four Buckets Design

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hello,

does the same happen when you try to add another H5P content type?

In any case, I'd check the H5P setting in Site Administration>H5P. These are my settings and the Content Bank works perfectly:

In the section Manage H5P content types, you should have listed the type of content you are trying to add. In my case, they are all automatically updated and added to the list and work perfectly, I guess because the other settings are properly configured.

This is the first place I would check.

In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Four Buckets Design -
Hello Beatriz, thank you.

Yes, the same thing happened when trying to create other content in the content bank and also when another colleague tried doing same on his computer (he resides in another province in Canada).

Yes, our the settings are exactly the same as the two screen prints you shared; and the M/C H5P content type is installed; see below.

Other suggestions? Perhaps uninstall the plug-in, then reinstall? Tried different browsers too, same results.

Do you know what is the difference between H5P 'core' and its plugin cousin?

Thank you, really want to use this plugin but hit a roadblock.
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.28.09 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.29.25 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.31.29 PM.png

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi,
to your questions:
Perhaps uninstall the plug-in, then reinstall?
I know from other threads that this solved some problems, but you are using the H5P  core (blue). But there may be some kind of interference with the H5P plugin (black), so I guess this could be an option.
Do you know what is the difference between H5P 'core' and its plugin cousin?
From a user's perspective, you create, publish, manage, and edit activities with the core activity differently. You use the Content Bank to create them and to publish them, you have two options:
  • using the activity H5P (blue) to create a stand-alone activity
  • using the button H5P in the Atto Editor to embed it into another resource or activity (f.i. a page, a label).
I cannot explain well the technical differences, but both are taking different development paths if my understanding is correct.

This is everything I can add based on my experience, hope it helps.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Four Buckets Design -
Hello again Beatriz, thank you.

Am a little confused about the difference between H5P core (blue) and H5P plugin (black):

You wrote we are using H5P core, (blue); yet it (the blue one) appears in the Plugins overview list in our Moodle site, so until now, assumed it is the plugin we are using, i.e., not the core H5P; see screen prints below.

H5P also appears as blue when clicking Add an activity or resource on a course site (3rd screenprint below). When clicking it, the H5P icon in the atto editor appears black, but then again, so do all the other icons in the editor. Couldn't attach a screenprint of it because limited to only 3 attachments in a post to this forum, but no doubt you know what it looks like. 

Still cannot create an interactive M/C quiz in the content bank...regardless of whichever H5P is installed. 😐

Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.17.55 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.18.07 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.24.34 PM.png

by Stuart Mealor -
Personally I would not try using the H5P plugin and the core H5P functionality at the same time, as I feel at some level, somewhere, they could interfere with each other.
So I would likely disable the plugin, and try using the core functionality.
However, if you prefer the plugin (without the overhead of the H5P core content bank), then uninstalling and reinstalling the H5P plugin might help.

As Beatriz says, the H5P plugin is maintained by Joubel, and the H5P core in Moodle is then adapted by Moodle HQ - I doubt anyone aside from Moodle HQ developers would be able to detail the 'differences' between the two, although in terms of the ways each content type works it should be identical.

I note you mentioned moving to your own server.
One thing I might test is whether you can create this type of content on a MoodleCloud site, with Boost Theme, and the same browser and connection you usually use.
If so, it may in fact be an issue with your server - speed - PHP - who knows!?
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Four Buckets Design -
Thank you; disabling the plugin (see below), didn't resolve the problem; same results/experience as shown by the screen prints in the initial post to this forum.
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 4.21.14 PM.png

by Beatriz Rojo -
You disabled the core activity, not the plugin 🙂. Do you see in that same list the black icon? If you don't, then you don't have the H5P plugin installed, which is fine and you don't need to.

I'd follow Stuart's advice about the server and the PHP. Have you tried the steps he suggests?
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Four Buckets Design -
It's odd that trying to add the Multiple Choice activity does not work, because as you can see from these screenprints, the content bank works, at least for these, when trying to create/use the Accordion or Audio H5P content; H5P plugin not disabled.

When trying to Add/create some other H5P activities, (haven't tried all of them), the Tutorial and Example labels appear as shown in the screenprint below, but are accompanied by the "Loading, please wait"/spinning wheel (or the latter only).
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 4.57.39 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 5.07.29 PM.png

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi!

If you could create a new Accordion but not a Multiple choice content type, the issue could be related to installed libraries (just a guess, but I think it worth a try).

• As admin go to Site administration > H5P > Manage H5P content types and on 'Installed H5P' list delete Multiple choice library.
  • Once that library is removed, you could upload an Multiple choice H5P package using 'Upload H5P content types' in that same page (the example offered by H5P is too big to attach to this post, so you can download it on https://h5p.org/multichoice -> Reuse -> Download).
H5P libraries are downloaded by a cron task needs to connect to H5P, so some connectivity issues could face downloading not fully functional libraries. 
Those steps would remove the downloaded library and upload a new one locally, so... as I said, it worth a try in my opinion.
Then you could go back to Content bank and give it another try to create content.

If that doesn't work, would be great to check error logs and see if we can get some more information about the issue.

About disabling core H5P activity shouldn't help, because the content bank should be independent to the activity itself. The activity could 'use' content in the Content bank, but the Content bank doesn't 'use' the activity.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Amaia Anabitarte

by Four Buckets Design -
Hello Amaia,

Thank you for your reply.

Did as you suggested-removed the Multiple Choice installed library and installed the 'black' H5P plugin.

Re: the multiple choice path you suggested, https://h5p.org/multichoice -> Reuse -> Download), takes you to a page description about Multiple Choice on the H5P website?; you must create an account to download the M/C activity? 😕 Feel like we're going around in circles. Further, don't see Reuse. 

The Multiple Choice activity we wish to use/create content, no longer appears in the content bank 'Add' drop-down menu. If an account is required on the H5P website, that's the only way now to re-install the M/C activity because it's gone for good having been deleted from the library as you suggested.

See screen prints.

Very confusing and frustrating. Don't know what's not working and why. Should not be this cumbersome to do something so simple.

Thanks,
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 4.28.31 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 4.47.52 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.09.28 PM.png

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Attached the H5P multiple choice example. You could as admin go to Site administration > H5P > Manage H5P content types and 'Upload H5P content types' this file. 

I hope this helps 🤞

Amaia

by Four Buckets Design -
Figured it out! One must select the H5P interactive content icon from the Activity Picker!

by Amaia Anabitarte -
There are quite a few differences between core H5P plugin (the blue one) and the third party H5P plugin (the black one). I would say one of the main differences is the way the work and how they manage the content itself.
For the "black" H5P activity, the content is created/edited inside the activity. The content created is completely managed by the activity itself. Content and activity are totally dependent.
For the "blue" H5P activity it's not as dependent to the content itself. The content is created, edited and managed by the Content bank. And you can USE it (from the Content bank) in a (blue) H5P activity. Or in a dozen of activities, or in an atto editor text, or...

Apart from that, there are some features already implemented in (black) H5P activity that are not implemented yet in (blue) core H5P activity or Content bank. So they are not exactly the same.

But about how the H5P editor works, and the issue you are having, should work mostly the same (technically speaking), because the Content bank is using the API offered by H5P.

I hope this helps to understand the differences/advantages/disadvantages for each of them smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Four Buckets Design -
Hi again/thank you,

So the Multiple Choice H5P content  is only to create one m/c question, https://h5p.org/tutorial-multichoice-question; to create a series of (more than one) interactive multiple choice questions, one must use the Question set content? https://h5p.org/tutorial-question-set 

If correct, when attempting to select it from the Add drop-down menu in the Content bank, the Loading, please wait message with the spinning wheel icon appears again, continues to spin, without resolving/uploading Question set.

Advice? thanks
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 5.35.37 PM.png