Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 46
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I've updated Adaptable as follows:

Version 3.10.1.0 for Moodle 3.10 version 2020110900.00 (Build: 20201109) and above within the 3.10 branch until the next release:

Version 3.9.1.0 for Moodle 3.9 version 2020061500.00 (Build: 20200615) and above within the 3.9 branch until the next release:

Version 3.8.1.0 for Moodle 3.8 version 2019111800.00 (Build: 20191118) and above within the 3.8 branch until the next release:

with:

1. Fix 'Quiz due date has no background colour'.
  2. Possible fix for header title underlaps search box - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=417124#p1685280.
  3. Refactor renderers so that don't have to worry about calls to undefined methods when upgrading or in maintenance.
  4. Fix 'Coventry tiles do not show teachers' - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=418430.
  5. Added 'editcognocourseupdate' setting so that when 'off' the cog / gear icon will not show in courses for users without the 'moodle/course:update' capability.
  6. Port of fix 'Undefined property: stdClass::$groupmember in moodle/course/format/topcoll/classes/activity.php on line 650' from Collapsed Topics.
  7. Removed 'editverticalpadding' setting as contradictory to the ability to centre the button text accurately.
  8. No such thing as '0px'.
  9. Corrected style spelling of 'edittingbutton' to 'editingbutton'.
  10. Fix '0 attempted' - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=418918.
  11. Remove FireFox CSS that breaks the activity / resource editing page.

All versions are 'stable', however as Adaptable is such a complex theme, bugs still might be there, so always check on a test server first.

Please report any issues with these versions here only.  Look at the forum rules for what information you need to supply.

With change '8' you might get an 'invalid value' for some settings that were set at '0px', simply save the settings and the value '0' should be set.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Carlos Matheus -
Hello Gareth. Do you know why after the update the Site Title got moved around? We have 3.10.1 and use: Logo>Site Title>Media Icons and after the update the title aligns to the right and on top of the media icons. We just disabled the media icons and have to live with the title to the right which doesn't look bad. Also on the file picker the different repositories have a big space in between (vertically). Just a few things that we noticed. Tomorrow going to look a bit in depth to see if I can figure out where the hiccup for those are but if you know something where to point me it would be much appreciated. 

Used to be:

Now with Social Media:

Now without (better):

Ah, also found that the blocks and the main content area in the course pages and also admin pages are joined (don't have the vertical space that separates them). This was even before the update.

Space missing

Old:                                                                                                    New:

In reply to Carlos Matheus

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Carlos,

All of these are 'oddities' that I was not really aware of until I made the release above.  If possible, please, with bugs that you spot that you report them as soon as you can, then that helps me to reduce the changes of 'yet another release'.  As I mention, Adaptable is a complex theme... so... fixes so far:

1. https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/commit/64335933f0129697483e121eebd56e4a0fe2782e
  2. https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/commit/8d30fd5f3619bad94e1ddd607ea224e544918b3b
  3. https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/commit/da6b891cbfde4a759610ae20f43428c71bba70cc
  4. https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/commit/afd80de7b0beb8dc6012d26c51b33b2bafde23c7

Gareth

Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Pierpaolo Gallo -

Hi Gareth,

I've the same issue even after the commit

header

header

and theme menu

adaptable menu

Thanks

Pierpaolo

In reply to Pierpaolo Gallo

Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, that's an odd one as I fixed the large space issue on the second type of header and not seen this issue on the first. Is there a URL to your site please? Does it show the issue when logged in as guest?

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Pierpaolo Gallo -
Login as guest is not allow, and the space in the login page is smaller.

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, with the URL you sent me, you have the custom CSS:

#page-header .col-lg-4 {
    max-width: 265px;
    float: left !important;
}

and the 'pageheaderheight' setting is 130px - consider another value and removing custom CSS.

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Pierpaolo Gallo -
removed and still the same, 130 is because the logo

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, there is not much more I can do as I can't see the rest of the site. The only option left is a 'sanitized' version of the settings export JSON with all private information removed.

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Pierpaolo Gallo -

here the file, thanks

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, thanks, imported and cannot replicate the big space!  Header is fine, a bit big, but then down to the header height setting already stated.  Ignore the increased version number!

Attachment Screenshot 2021-03-05 194318.png

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.8 to 3.10

by Pierpaolo Gallo -
The header problem was in a custom horizontal menu option, thanks!

by Carlos Matheus -
Sure if any others show up you'll be the first to know. And yes, indeed is a very complex one. Quick question. How do you recommend incorporating this fixes? Should I manually make them on my PHP code? Do a git pull? or wait for an updated release?

by Gareth J Barnard -
If you know what you're doing and have made a backup first / have a test server, then you can manually apply the changes in the commits. Otherwise, I'll do a minor release soon.

by Brigitte Denton -
Hi Gareth,
First, thank you for all the hard work you put into making the Adaptable Theme one that meets various user preference needs. Here is another screenshot showing the issue with the header title for your reference. The course title does not appear on the course pages. Settings are set to display site title and course full name. I will look out for the next update. Decided to restore to the last version.

by Carlos Matheus -
Hello again Gareth. First of all, thanks a lot for all the hard work you do on the adaptable theme. It really makes a difference. Now, let me ask you a question and hope you can point me in the right direction. About a 2 years ago when I jumped into maintaining Moodle for this company I expanded the breadcrumb bar to 90% of the screen and I can't find where I did it. After finally migrating from Windows to Linux. That is one of the very few thing that I haven't been able to replicate. It's not of the uttermost importance but It's one of those things always in the back of my head.
Do you know where I can change that?

by Gareth J Barnard -

?? Do you mean:....

Attachment Screenshot 2021-03-24 173603.png

by Tek Teksukamen -

Hi Gareth, I am testing version 3.10.1.1 (2021022301) of the adapable theme and I have seen when "slidermargintop and slidermarginbottom" is set to zero, it takes the default value, 20px, if another value is set higher than zero then it works with that value

In reply to Tek Teksukamen

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Tek,

Please apply this patch: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=419461#p1692308.

Gareth

by Tek Teksukamen -
Thanks Gareth, the following is not a bug, but it is possible that the blocks have a hidden initial state?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Tek,

That would take me a while to find out and answer, therefore I'd want to be compensated for my time on that one. For element of any doubt, I'm stating this for myself from my point of view. Others are still free to answer the question and not request compensation using the same open source software as I would use to answer it.

Gareth

by Tek Teksukamen -
Hi Gareth, you're right, I was trying to suggest adding a check box to set that parameter in the "adaptable" settings. For now I apply this script in case someone else needs it, Thanks.

window.onload = myzoom(); 

function myzoom() {
  var x = document.getElementsByTagName("BODY")[0];
  x.classList.add("zoomin");
}

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Tek,

??? Your question was "is possible that the blocks have a hidden initial state" and that script is to do with the page zoom functionality and not the blocks.

G

by Tek Teksukamen -
Hi Gareth, I may not explain it correctly. When I hide or show the blocks, I can see the zoomin class is inserted, that's why I use the script

Of course it is not a bug, I just wanted you to consider a functionality in a future version of the theme

by Gareth J Barnard -
Oh, that hide blocks not the hide block in the block header.

by Carlos Matheus -
No, it's actually the width of the breadcrumb bar. You can see in the images as how the first goes from side to side and in the second it stops after the course name. I remember doing this but can't just remember where or how.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Um... simples... around 2 seconds to figure out the CSS:

#page-navbar {
    width: 90%;
}

by Milka Quin -
Hello Gareth, we are using Adaptable version 3.10.1.0 on Moodle 3.10.3 (Build: 20210325).

I would like to know where the option for "make available but not show on course page" is. This is in Common Module settings where we either make available on coursepage or hide from students.
In reply to Milka Quin

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Milka,

"make available but not show on course page" is a core thing, so look in the Moodle docs.

G

by Milka Quin -
Dear Gareth, thank you for pointing me to the right direction. Resolved smile

by Moja Edukacja -

Hello

Is there a chance to correct the position of this icon and its function (show hide search textbox on hover, how it once worked in version 2.2) ?

Thanks.

In reply to Moja Edukacja

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Moja,

Ok, what version of Adaptable please? EDIT: Can replicate, all very broken will go on the TODO list - not sure how it worked in 2.2 anyway as that looks messy.

G

by Moja Edukacja -
3.10.1.2, 2021022302, Moodle 3.10.3 (Build: 20210325)

Thank you

by Moja Edukacja -
" Also please supply a current JSON settings export as I'm struggling to get the same setup. Also have you looked at the 'header2searchbox' settng?"

header2searchbox:
Yes. The "Static" looks good.

by Moja Edukacja -
Updated 2021022303

Works great again ! smile Thank you.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, but.... that's just the next version in my development area that is:

• Not finished.
  • Subject to change without notice.
  • You could experience issues when I formally release the version as 'things' won't happen as a part of the expected upgrade process.
G

by Andrew Steele -
I've been attempting to update a Moodle site (3.10.3) using Adaptable. My first attempt was unsuccessful and produced errors in the Adaptable theme. My guess was that this would likely be speedily fixed so I rolled back to Moodle 10.2.

I just attempted the update again. I upgraded to Moodle 3.10.3+ and included the latest Adaptable version 3.10.1.2

Sadly this still fails with the following error:

Trait 'theme_adaptable\traits\single_section_page' not found in /srv/icti.org.uk/public/htdocs/theme/adaptable/renderers.php on line 42

I look forward to a resolution. Thanks for an otherwise excellent theme ;)

In reply to Andrew Steele

by Gareth J Barnard -
Does '/theme/adaptable/classes/traits/single_section_page.php' (https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/blob/V3.10.1.2/classes/traits/single_section_page.php) exist on your server? If so, then a 'Purge all caches' should fix it. If not, then double check your theme files / upgrade procedure and get from the link I stated.

by Andrew Steele -
Lovely all done. Purge All Caches seemed to do what was needed.

Many thanks.

by Moja Edukacja -
Navbar menu -> Menu Sections.

If sections/weeks > 30 then eg. for FHD screen can't scroll all list of sections.

by Gareth J Barnard -
??? There is no 'Navbar menu' settings page and there is no 'Menu Sections' settings = I don't know what you're talking about?  Or do you mean the 'enablecoursesections' setting functionality?

by Gareth J Barnard -
P.S. Ok, a completely random hunch...

#adaptable-page-header-wrapper #main-navbar .navbar-nav .nav-item .dropdown-menu>.nav-item .dropdown-menu {
    max-height: 400px;
    overflow-x: auto;
}

by Moja Edukacja -

sorry for inaccurate expression

I meant these sub-sections (called by topics for me)

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Moja Edukacja -
Wow. This solution is even better than what worked in previous (much earlier) versions.
I really like this way of expanding the list, rather than the way to scroll the page in the background with the section list simultaneously.

(PS. Why isn't this built into the style by default?)

One more time Thank you.
You roules

by Gareth J Barnard -
I don't know why it wasn't built into the style by default, but I suspect that the issue never arose. After all, you're the first person who has reported this (to my knowledge) and I believe that the code has been there quite a long time. The style is now though: https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/commit/e3a68370c4b7e55b25d95403fb972de3d45359ca.