Enroll User button is missing from Participant page

Enroll User button is missing from Participant page

by Subhankar Das -
Number of replies: 21

Moodle Version 3.10

Issue: Enroll User button is missing from the Participant page

From LMS Admin and Teacher role I have tested this. 

I have a list of users and I want to enroll some of them to the particular course but I'm not able to do this anyhow. 

Could you please help me to figure it out. 

Attachment sec100-Participants.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Subhankar Das

Re: Enroll User button is missing from Participant page

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Subhanker,

Make sure that you have the manual enrolment method added to the course. If there is no manual method, or some other method that uses the Enrol button, then it will not appear. So, click the Edit/gear icon > Enrolment methods, and see what enrolment method this course has. Enable or add the manual method if it is missing.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Subhankar Das -
The manual Enrolment option is enabled. Still Enroll User button not appearing. Not sure what is missing. 
Attachment Enrolment-methods.png

by Randy Thornton -
What this shows is you don't have any permissions to do anything to that enrolment.

As an Administrator, you should see four icons there, to delete, enable/disable, enroll, and the gear to edit the settings. Just like you see the three icons for the Guest and Self-enrol methods. If you don't see those as the Admin, then first check that you have this enabled in Site admin > Plugins > Enrollments.

Make sure you as Admin are not enrolled in the course in some role, either.

As a Teacher you should see two icons: the gear icon (which will produce an error if clicked anyway) and the icon to enrol. If the enrol one is missing, which it probably is given you can't see the button, then verify the Teacher role has that permissions proper to it.

The permissions the Teacher should have to do manual enrolls are:

Enrol users
enrol/manual:enrol
Allow

Manage user enrolments
enrol/manual:manage
Allow

Unenrol users from the course
enrol/manual:unenrol
Allow
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Subhankar Das -
I can not see the Enrol button as an Admin or Teacher role
Here is my Manage Enrollment list

Attachment NextGen-LMS-Administration-Plugins-Enrolments-Manage-enrol-plugins.png

by Randy Thornton -
That looks very normal to me.

Is your Administrator actually enroled in the course with the issue? Make sure that it is not. That could interfere with its Admin powers, which would allow it to see and use all the enrolment settings.

If you create a new course as the Admin, go into it and look at the enrolment methods, without enrolng anyone  yet, does this problem immediately appear?

by Subhankar Das -
Also I m not able to find the given roles/capabilities under Teacher role. Using Moodle Version 3.10

by Randy Thornton -
Then that means the setting is not set for that role. You will need to click the "Edit" button for the role and then you will be able to see ALL the possible capabilities and how each of those are set for the role. Then search for the capability name in the Filter box. More on that here: https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Managing_roles

by Subhankar Das -
Thanks Randy for your time.

I have logged in as LMS Admin and trying to edit teacher role, but not find out any roles like:

Enrol users
enrol/manual:enrol
Allow

Manage user enrolments
enrol/manual:manage
Allow

Unenrol users from the course
enrol/manual:unenrol
Allow

Anything I am missing

by Randy Thornton -

When you use the Edit button to edit any role, it will always show you the entire list of all possible capabilities, along with what permission they may have, like Allowed, etc. If you aren't actually editing it but just viewing it, then it only shows the ones that happen to be set or changed, not all of them.

When editing the role itself, you should see a screen that looks like the attached screenshot, which is what the start of the Teacher role will look like in Edit mode.

Also, make sure that there is nothing to start with the Filter, so you can see them all.

Those three capabilities I listed above always exist in Moodle. And they are set on for the Teacher role by default. You can turn them off for that role, but you can not delete such capabilities, only change their permission for the role. So, they are there (unless something is very, very wrong with your installation.)

I suggest take a look at this page to get more information how this works: https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Managing_roles

Attachment screenshot_9475.jpg

by Subhankar Das -
Hi Randy,
Can check the capabilities under the Teacher role. Filtered by enrol:
Attachment Teacher-Users-Permissions-Define-roles.png

by Randy Thornton -
Subhankar,

That is very, very strange. In default Moodle you should be seeing the Manual enrolment section right between Publish as LTI Tool and Course Meta link.

Can you check to see which other roles have this? There is a report for this. If you go to Site admin > Users > Permissions > Capability overview, you can run this report. See the attachment for the settings to put in, but basically you want to put the capability enrol/manual:enrol in the filter box for Capability, then for Roles, select All, then click the Get overview button. You should see the results like in my screenshot: where Manager and Teacher have this allowed and for all other roles this is Not set.

That will tell us if there are any conflicts. Are there any other roles that have this set and are there any permissions other than Allow.

Secondly, back in that course. When you look at the Participants page, what roles do you see for the 3 users who are enrolled? Are they enrolled as Teacher, Student, or some other other role?

Finally, you can try to make a new Teacher role and see how that acts. So, in Users> Permissions > Define roles, click the Add a new role button at the bottom, then for the Archtype, choose Teacher. For the shortname, call it editingteacher2. Below that, In the filter area put in "enrol" and check if you see whether or not the whole section called Manual enrolments shows up between the Publish as LTI section and the Course meta link section. You should see that section with five settings in it for enrollment.

Since we know that section is missing from your teacher role, I wonder if it will still be in the default. (Moodle stores a base setting for all the standard roles as the default role. It creates this when you install Moodle. This default never changes, so you can always rebuild any role at any time as reset it back to the default this way.)

Attachment screenshot_9481.jpg

by Randy Thornton -
Here's a screenshot of what the default teacher role looks like for those capabiliies:

Attachment screenshot_9482.jpg

by Subhankar Das -

Thanks Randy. As you mentioned I have created one new teacher role in the system but surprisingly Manual Enrol section is missing from the list. See the screenshot

Attachment NextGenmissing-roles.png

by Randy Thornton -
What happens when you go to the Capabilities report: Site admin > Users > Permissions > Capability overview ? Does this capability show up at all in that report?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you check the moodle enrol folder on your server and make sure that you actually have the manual folder in there and then check its permissions - it is almost as though it is uninstalled...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Randy Thornton -
Emma,

I have similar thoughts. The plugin says it is enabled, yet I think that the capabilities seem to be totally missing from the database. So, something did not get installed properly is my guess. But it is a very bizarre set of circumstances.

by Subhankar Das -
Where do I find manual folder in the server . Pls give me the path

by Subhankar Das -
Randy
Is there any way to get professional consultancy on this? We are in little urgency to resolve this ASAP. Someone who can advise to figure it out.

by Randy Thornton -
Did you look at the capability report I mentioned above: https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Unenrolment#Suspended_or_Unenrolled.3F

This will tell you what you need to know.

by Subhankar Das -
enrol/manual:enrol - option not showing in the list at all. Please see the screenshot attached.
Attachment NextGen-Learning-Management-System-Administration-Users-Permissions-Capability-overview.png

by Subhankar Das -

Emma,

The manual folder is present under enrol folder in my project directory. please see the attached image.

Attachment manual_enrol.png