Grading a quiz in Moodle

Grading a quiz in Moodle

аз John Leggett -
Number of replies: 9

I have a sample of a number of test registrants who attempt a test 5 question quiz.

Under Gradebook setup I can see the name of the student, state, started on, completed on, time taken, grade/5.00 and then the five questions with 'requires grading' shown.

Under 'Grade/5.00' I click on 'Not yet graded' and the list of questions appear (in a new dialog box) with the student's answer and then underneath 'Make comment or override mark'.

Is there a way to, instead of the 'Make comment or override mark' box, the 'mark __ out of 1.00' box simply appears on its own i.e. no comment box and no 'Make comment or override mark' option. 

I am simply looking at ways to speed things up - so ideally, when clicking 'Not yet graded' a dialog box may or may not opens up with all the questions listed. The grader then simply looks at the question, checks the answer and puts a one or zero in the box.

Then working through all the questions in this fashion there is only one Save at the bottom.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,

John

In reply to John Leggett

Re: Grading a quiz in Moodle

аз Tim Hunt -
Сурати  корбар Core developers Сурати  корбар Documentation writers Сурати  корбар Particularly helpful Moodlers Сурати  корбар Peer reviewers Сурати  корбар Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

аз John Leggett -

Many thanks for reply Tim - that helped. I also found the add-on 'Manual grading by student' which is great apart from the fact that it doesn't show the student name?

In reply to John Leggett

аз Tim Hunt -
Сурати  корбар Core developers Сурати  корбар Documentation writers Сурати  корбар Particularly helpful Moodlers Сурати  корбар Peer reviewers Сурати  корбар Plugin developers
Both our plugin, and the built-in grading by student plugin, shows names (or not) based on the capability quiz/grading:viewstudentnames. So, check your role definitions. (There is also quiz/grading:viewidnumber.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

аз John Leggett -

Thanks Tim - great to hear that the student names can be shown. Unfortunately, have to be honest and say that I didn't really understand your comments (not your clarify, but me being relatively new to plug-in structure!).

I'll take a look at role definitions but if there is any elaboration you can offer, it would be gratefully received!

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

John

In reply to John Leggett

аз Tim Hunt -
In reply to Tim Hunt

аз John Leggett -
Hi Tim,

Please could I just check something?

in the Quiz, I have checked capability quiz/grading:viewstudentnames via 'Quiz Administration' > 'Permissions' > 'Quiz report: Manual grading' > 'See student names while grading' and the roles with permissions seem OK.

When I click on 'Results' > 'Manual grading by student', the Questions that need grading table appears but with the first Student column still empty?

Not sure whether I am doing something wrong here?

Kind regards,

John
In reply to John Leggett

аз Tim Hunt -
I'm sorry. my memory was wrong. I have just read the code to remind myself what this report is actually doing.

The way this report is coded at the moment, it will only display the user 'idnumber' field, not the name. I guess that is what the OU wanted when we first developed this, but it is not very generally useful. We probably need to improve that some time, but I am not sure when we will get around to it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

аз John Leggett -

Thanks Tim. I appreciate your kind reply.

It would be marvellous to see the Student column populated with the name of the Learner(s) as this will make manually marking that much easier.

So, fingers crossed that you have the time available at some point.

Kind regards,

John

In reply to Tim Hunt

аз John Leggett -

Hi Tim,

I managed to add the student name via Peter's info (from your guidance) in this post:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=275531&parent=1324987

Again, a thousand thanks to you and Mahmoud for the excellent development of this plugin.

Cheers,

John