Wiki party - everyone invited!!!

Wiki party - everyone invited!!!

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Moodlers,

as you know Ludo (Marc Alier) and his team has been working hard with their new wiki module. cool

After some months the module seems to be really near production-ready so we need to perform a KEY test to check if, finally, it's able to replace the old wiki. Such test is about to guarantee that old contents will be migrated smoothly to the new one, without losing anything in the conversion.

So, to be able to execute that test successfully we would want to invite all you to create as many and complex wiki activities you can in order to be able to test the migration thoroughly.

Here is the Party Plan:

1.- Everybody interested, go to http://test.moodle.com and enter the WIKI Arena Party.
2.- Credentials will be required. They are, simply: teacher/teacher.
3.- Once in the Party, feel free to create one Wiki activity and fill it with all sort of content. The Chef's suggestions include:
  • Copy/Paste complex old-wiki pages from your sites
  • Restore Wiki activities from standard course backups (be careful)
  • Create manually any type of content (links, images...)

4.- The Party will continue until March, 20th.
5.- Once ended we'll take a photo (backup) of the Party Stand to be able to review it in the future.
6.- New Wiki module will arrive and will replace the old one in the server and, hopefully, the migration will start automatically and will end successfully.
7.- Everyone will be invited again to the 2nd-round Party to check how the migration has converted their activities, talking about everything (new friends, migration problems, suggestions...) in the Wiki module forum.

Please, if you can spend some minutes, come to the Party. If you have some activities developed with the Wiki, come to the Party. If you want to collaborate, come to the Party. I really think it's an IMPORTANT test.

TIA and Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Wiki party - everyone invited!!!

by Art Lader -
Great idea, Eloy. I am on my way...

And a big THANK YOU to the DFwiki team. smile

-- Art
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thank you Eloi,
this week we'll be making backups from the wiki arena and conducting migrations on our test sites.
Please guys, help us make this work!!! If we don't due for 1.6 ... ojo amoratado
TIA and Regards
Ludo

by Samuli Karevaara -
I'm getting
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_RETURN in /home/moodtest/public_html/blog/rsslib.php on line 45
when trying to go there... I used my own credentials.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Samuli,

works for me now.

Ciao smile

by Samuli Karevaara -
Now that parse error had gone... But the current wiki has problems of it's own, so the migration might be a pain sad

For example: I went in, created a Wiki with of the Type "Student", "No Groups". Then, as the teacher, added one page to my own account, just a simple heading and two paragraphs of text, saved it and got:

"Notice: Undefined index: 26 in /home/moodtest/public_html/mod/wiki/lib.php on line 493"

It's just a notice, but still... Non-ascii chars in the eWiki page names break a lot of stuff too sad
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Yep, I agree that the eWiki module has some limitations and problems. That's one (the main one, perhaps) of the causes to test the new dfWiki module and how it migrates all our old contents. wink

If the conversion runs smoothly (no data loss) and, if the newer wiki works like a charm (far better than the old one), the correct conclusion seems to be to replace the old one. Then, we'll have one better wiki module inside Moodle, better supported and with an amazing future. A cool evolution! cool

Else we'll continue using the current module, with all its limitations and problems. Some sort of work can be performed to improve it, of course, but my personal opinion after looking the ewiki code some months ago, is really about to change to the new alternative (obviously if the conditions remarked in the previous paragraph are satisfied).

Ciao smile

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Eloy,
If you're interested, I have a Moodle 1.6 dev, converted to UTF8 with 276 wiki's.
They are I Dutch, so Latin1. Whenever you think you are ready, I'll convert them to dfwiki.
In reply to koen roggemans

Hey Koen,

it sounds really interesting! After tests with test.moodle.com we could try to convert your server (a test one, I hope wink ) too.

Anyway, I really think it could be positive to have some of your pages (4-5) in test.moodle.com (the more complex) because they will allow to "preview" how your test server will be converted in the future. If you can spend some minutes pasting some of them...great!

Thanks for your support (once more) and ciao smile

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi all,
         done with some Québec stuff in it wink

Thanks for helping the transition,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Bernard!!!
I've expreriencied a weird thing by restoring the wiki arena in a 1.5.3 installation... The Québek Wiki... cause the group wikis where not restored. I mean, not lost by some dfwiki import, The contents where not before the dfwiki migration.
May I asume that the current wiki backup looses the group wiki contents???
If that's the case another point for dfwiki!
Ludo

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Guido van der Waals -

I also have experienciend that the group-wiki-module doesn't backup at all!

So I lost the whole content from a great wiki-arenaboosaardig

Please help me.
By the way, I use the ewiki.

In reply to Guido van der Waals

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Noted,
we'll take a look on to it. Can you send us by email a course backup with your group course so we can experiment with?
Thank you
Ludo

by Guido van der Waals -

Hi Ludo,

I have send you already a course backup. Do you already experiment with it?
I believe that you don't find any clu, because the zip-file is very empty.

I'm integrating three moodle-sites. So I must really use the backup- and restore-facility from Moodle. I have observed that the wikimodule doesn't backup at all. I'm using Moodle 1.5.3+ (2005060230)   and Moodle 1.6 Beta 3 (2006041900).

Do you recognize this problem or am I the only one in the world?

In reply to Guido van der Waals

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Guido,
I din't receive your message ( maybe a spam filter or the size was too big ).. can you send me a link where I can donwload It.
thank s
Ludo

by t roland -

Hi!

test.moodle.com is version 1.5.3 or 1.6?

Because I've problem with accentuated letter evennow.

You can see it:  Test r_breadcrumb.gif WA r_breadcrumb.gif Wikis r_breadcrumb.gif Wiki Test r_breadcrumb.gif prőbű

(in view: prőbű, but in edit: probu) 

Re: Wiki party -First part over, but goes on!!!

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thank you to all of those who have joined us in the wiki arena to make a deep migration test for the new wiki,
the wiki arena now has been migrated to New -Wiki. Good news is that it worked and everything seems ok. Now I must ask you to plat with the wiki arena to hunt for some bugs and to check out if all the content that was suposed to be there is it really. We have allready detected some issues and we are allready working hard on it.
DFwiki team has also grown up, and a set of new developers are starting to write their usefull code lines. DFwiki will continue as an alternative module that we'll use to test our mad ideas, before integrating them into wiki. This is a short list of what's to come:
* a-la mediawiki discussion pages
* pdf printing and html/opendoc export along with wikibook
* new improved diff features
* complete grading
* major/minor edit swich
* page voting
* new edit modes (specially for those who teach programming languages )
* better atached files management
* edit mode speciall blocks
And last but not least wikipodcasting : text2speech and podcast your wiki pages.
We count on you to test it, imporve it and use it on your moodle sites.
Ludo and the dfwiki team.

Re: Wiki party -First part over, but goes on!!!

by Soumya S -

Hi Ludo,

I am testing dfwiki 20061123 version on moodle1.5.2. The voting button on dfwiki appears alright, but when I click on it, I get an edit page to create a new page. I thought vote would update the number of votes for the page I was viewing.

Can you please explain what this voting option is for ?

Thanks in advance,

Soumya.