Visual indication of frozen context

Visual indication of frozen context

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Is there any way to get a visual presentation of a context (course, activity) being frozen?
This is a great functionality, but without any explanation to the users it will be confusing.

Using moodle 3.8.6
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Visual indication of frozen context

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter,

As far as I know there is currently no indication for users that a context is frozen. I agree with you that there should be. How about creating an issue in the Moodle Tracker for it? (I searched but couldn't find one.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Thank you Helen, I reported it: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-71008
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Peter, it has my vote!

Ideas of how a frozen context could be indicated are very welcome! Anyone please feel free to reply to this thread or comment in the issue.

In reply to Helen Foster

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
That initial message that appears is nice and would be great if it just 'stayed' in place. Maybe a font-awesome Lock icon in front of the message too.
Also this makes me thing about the lock icon in the Admin block -- shouldn't the 'unlock' icon appear next to Freeze this Context, as a visual indicator that the course is current 'not' frozen? It's confusing to freeze a context just to see the lock appear as unlocked at that point.
Maybe status words such as "Context Frozen" and "Context Not Frozen" could be clearer than action words since the action works are opposite of what is actually seen? I guess it works like the Turn Editing on link, but that one doesn't have an icon change so maybe more consistency here is helpful too.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Here's a visual of the current message with a font awesome lock. If this could remain static that would be great. But, I understand there is a similar message when you unfreeze a context and I'd image we'd not want that to stay static.

Attachment lock.png