Technical Specifications for mass quiz

Technical Specifications for mass quiz

by Kieran Briggs -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all.  So we are looking at offering assessments on a huge scale.  As I recall, the quiz is a resource hog when people are taking them.  would it be feasible to have a quiz that would allow 100-200 at any one time to be able to sit the quiz.  I'm assuming it would be a moodle install just to run the exam, all other courses and content would be on a seperate install.

If so, what do people think the kind of server spec would be required to run something like this?

Thanks

Kieran

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kieran Briggs

Re: Technical Specifications for mass quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a very frequently answer question (without a simple answer, but lots of advice out there.) What information have you found so far. (200 is not that big a number.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kieran Briggs -
More experience. I used to work in an FE college and when we had a group of 30 students all sitting a quiz in one of their lessons at the same time we would notice that Moodle would run slower for that hour or so. We were running it at the time as a VMware container. At the moment we run courses for teachers and have about 300 in a single course but they have a window of 3 weeks to complete the quiz, but we are planning on rolling it out to the whole sector and the possibility that a few hundred will login and start it at the same time so want to make sure that it doesn't fall over.
In reply to Kieran Briggs

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
As already noted, 200 is not a big number for a dedicated server or a high-end VPS. Here's a first-hand example for 250 candidates: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=414977#p1674081.

For more visit the Hardware and performance forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596, go through the many similar discussions in the recent past.