General Lessons vs Specialized Lessons

General Lessons vs Specialized Lessons

by Megan Lasersohn -
Number of replies: 4

My question is: Am I able to create a single course in which certain modules are visible to only certain students? And, if I do this, will I be able to easily track my students' progress in relation to those modules.

For example, I would like the first 5 modules to be open to everyone in my course. (Let's say I have 20 students.) These first 5 modules are considered "General" course content that all 20 students can see.

I, then, would like to implement 4 other modules that have content dedicated to certain students. I imagine I would want to use the grouping feature in order to do this (though I don't know for sure if that feature allows me to do what I want). So, there would be 5 students per group, and each group is assigned to one of the Specialized modules. Is this possible? If so, would I be able to easily track my students' progress like this?

Or does it make more sense/is it more efficient to simply create one general course for my students, and then create 4 separate, specialized courses? (As opposed to one course with both general and specialized modules).

Forgive me if this post is a little scattered; I'm still trying to figure out how to properly explain what I need. I'd appreciate any suggestions/insights.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Megan Lasersohn

Re: General Lessons vs Specialized Lessons

by David Le Blanc -

Hello Megan,
Yes, you can do this by simply using groups. Here's a video that I found online that describes the process: Creating Groups in Moodle to Assign Different Assignments to Students

Here's a link to the Moodle documentation for the most recent version of the platform: Groups  

Groupings will also work for this however, I tend to only use groupings when I want to group a few different groups together to work on particular activities. Generally, restricting access to specific groups is enough. In other words, if you have activities that you want more than one group to access, you would then consider setting up groupings (groups of groups).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Megan Lasersohn -

Thanks so much for your help! I will definitely be utilizing the groups feature then. I see in the documentation and video that I can restrict access to some content to certain groups, but I don't have to restrict access to all of it. That's perfect for what I need. Thank you again!

In reply to Megan Lasersohn

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hi Megan,

additionally to David's suggestion for groups, and depending on the scenario, the Course Meta Link would also be an option. With it, you create a parent course with the general lessons common to everyone, and then as many specialized courses as you want with the specific content. It allows for great flexibility and modularity. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Megan Lasersohn -
Thank you! This sounds amazing. I will definitely check this out!