Moodle Export QTI IMS

Moodle Export QTI IMS

by Nathan Field -
Number of replies: 7

We are actually looking to migrate our exams/quizzes away from Moodle into another platform. However the import format needs to be QTI IMS, and I am not sure how to extract the Moodle quizzes in that format, or even if it's possible. Does anybody have any experience with exporting to that format?

Your replies are much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Field

Re: Moodle Export QTI IMS

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
No, I don't have experience with QTI IMS. However, it seems that your need, and question, is for the "other platform." Why don't you have the "other platform" provide what you need? Moodle supports more "export" file formats than most LMSs. Don't forget about exploring some plugins that may provide a solution.

Hopefully, the "other platform" didn't make you some promises that they cannot fulfil.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nathan Field -
Appreciate this! I'm afraid my knowledge of Moodle is very limited, so I haven't much of a clue where to look for plugins, but I will contact the LMS to see if they have any suggestions.
In reply to Nathan Field

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
So, let me guess at your situation. You can correct me where I am wrong.

Your school has been using Moodle. All of a sudden, your administration came along and said "We are switching to Canvas." You say, but what about all those questions that instructors have in Moodle? Your administration says "Don't worry, Canvas said you simply import them."

Now, your administration gave you the challenge to "simply import Moodle questions into Canvas." This is now what you seek to do. But you don't know much about either Moodle or Canvas. You make a post for help in Canvas Community, and a post on Moodle.org.

You discover that neither Instructure or the Canvas community can help.  It appears that Instructure might have "deceived" you, and the Canvas Community is of no use.  You are hoping that someone in Moodle.org can help.  You have come to the right place, but this doesn't mean that Moodle users can solve all problems.

So far, all you have is this guy Rick who says "contact your LMS company." And, Rick can only say "Good luck."  Now, I am not trying to be discouraging, I am just saying that it might be a little difficult.  If Canvas told you they can do this, tell them "show me, or else I cancel our order."

But I will stay positive.  Perhaps you will find someone who has had success, so don't give up.

Also realize that Moodle has a different set of question types than your LMS, so you might only have luck with T/F, MC, and Short Answer.  And you might lose something in the translation.

If you have questions in their original delivery format, like "Blackboard", you might have better success.  Also, some textbook authors now supply their question banks in multi-LMS formats, including Canvas.

I will watch this discussion to see what I can learn from you and others.

(Incidentally, my school switched to Canvas about five years ago, and I still use Moodle.  Moodle's question bank and quiz engine is far superior to the other LMSs.  But I do understand that if your school switched, you are stuck with whatever your school purchased.)

Here is an interesting video that I came across a while ago that might help.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Nathan Field

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by Martin A -
Hi Ivan,
same here, we use the IMS system as question base and build a little tool to import the qti.zip to moodle xml. So, I would be interested to see your import tool wink

As one can also import statistic back to IMS, here the "Examinator", we struggled in two ways:
- no export from Moodle with question and the quantity of taken answers (or I did not find it yet this "quiz statistic")
- the IMS uses identifiers, which we could add to a questions (name or tag), but not to the answers (no name, no tag), and do not get the identifiers back in export

Do You have any ideas?
Martin
In reply to Martin A