Weird problems resetting Dashboard

Weird problems resetting Dashboard

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's not so much a question - but I'd be interested to hear any thought.

On our large, clustered site we had to reset our Dashboard to default for all users which we did yesterday. It's taken c. 20 hours to complete. Given the number of users I can live with that. However, the transaction (I assume) in that process played havoc with table locking through this time. The tables involved (context, my-pages, user-preferences) all became "unstable" and gave constant transaction timeouts for any activity involving them. For example, it was no longer possible to delete blocks anywhere on the site. 

This has "fixed itself" on completion of the Dashboard reset but I thought I'd mention it as it was rather alarming. Also, does anybody have any thoughts about what went wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Weird problems resetting Dashboard

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Howard,

MDL-70536 as just been integrated in Moodle 3.11, allowing to reset all users dashboards with a cli script. It will certainly avoid (in future) problems you encountered.

HTH,
Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It will be interesting to see if it causes similar database instability...
In reply to Howard Miller

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In fact, there is also MDL-70444 for Moodle 3.11 which should better work than now (without cli).

And perhaps MDL-70945 in future...

Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (2)