Moodle Formulas (answer dependant on a previous answer)

Moodle Formulas (answer dependant on a previous answer)

by Marie-Eve Jean -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible in Moodle formulas type question, to have an answer that's dependant of aa previous answer in a different part. I would like the students to give me a first answer with units and the second one with units as well. The only way I have found to have units is to separate the answers in different parts, but then I can't have the second answer depending on the first answer the student gives.

Thanks,

Marie-Eve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marie-Eve Jean

Re: Moodle Formulas (answer dependant on a previous answer)

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Marie-Ève,

No, this is not possible at the moment, because all the variables in the parts are local, i.e. local variables, grading variables and answer variables ({_0}, etc. ). I would not suggest a workaround with client side javascript as this would not be secure and surely too complex compared to the correct server side solution.

At first glance, I see no problem modifyiing the Formulas question type to allow the definition of global variables in the parts. It will obviously be necessary to look at the precise way of doing it, but I do not think that it is excessively difficult to do. I will try to get there this year.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Diego Alejandro Carvajal Jara -

Hi Dominique

If it is not possible to create grading criteria with different Parts of a question, ¿Could be possible to ignore blank answers boxes, when using differents "coordinates" in one part?

In reply to Diego Alejandro Carvajal Jara

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Diego,

Could be possible to ignore blank answers boxes, when using differents "coordinates" in one part?

No, it is not possible to ignore blank answer boxes in a given part, regardless of the question behaviour and whether or not you use a grading criterion.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Cameron Hallowell -
Any progress on this? I am trying to get around "method marks" and for example I would like to make the final part answer dependent on the previous student answers correctly applied rather than using the correct answers. That way one early mistake is not repeatedly penalised. is there a way that this can be achieved already?