Formulas question type maintenance

Formulas question type maintenance

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello René,

I agree with you and think the Formulas question is important enough to be built into the Moodle core. However, I doubt that it will be soon. Moodle currently does not have sufficient resources to maintain plugins other than the ones it currently manages, or maybe only new simple plugins that will have very wide use. You never know, maybe in the distant future, but certainly not today.

I might not be the ideal fit as I am not a programmer, but Moodle Headquarters immediately accepted my application to be the maintainer of the plugin. It seems that no one else has come forward for two years after Jean-Michel Védrine, the previous maintainer, announced his retirement. For now, I'm doing the basic updates and fixing a few bugs. Major improvements to the plugin will be made later.

I would prefer that you give your feedback here, on this quiz forum. It might not be the most suitable place, but it's where I go every day to answer questions on the Formulas question. This is where most of the discussion about the plugin takes place. Even on this forum, your suggestions will be discussed and noted, although they may not necessarily be implemented immediately.

In fact, for now, if you want a change to be made to the plugin, it's much more likely to be implemented if you suggest the changes to the code itself. In this case, we can then work on GitHub.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Formulas question type maintenance

by René Röderstein -

Hi Dominique,

thanks for the response. I think basic updates and bug fixes is what is mostly needed. The plugin seems quite complete to me.

Actually I put two things in the Moodle Tracker. One is a bug as I can see: the input validation is not working anymore. I used to get a direct feedback, in the form of a red exclamation mark, on input syntax errors (like forgetting to enter a unit). This is missing now (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-8421).

An update, that would be nice, is a localization of the input syntax, especially using a "," as decimal separator in germany (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-8422).

Best regards - René