Help removing uploaded files

Help removing uploaded files

by Albert R. -
Number of replies: 2

This is regarding a Moodle 3.7 installation running on a LAMP server with PHP 7.

We have lots of files that we need to delete from the server (remove them completely). These are files that were uploaded in two ways:

1. SCORM zip files via the SCORM activity file picker

In this case, looks like I can go to Edit the SCORM activity, open the file picker, select the zip file's icon, and click on DELETE. The thing is that I'm not sure this is actually deleting the file from the server, and since their names are encrypted I can't really tell browsing via FTP. Does DELETE actually remove the file from the server? Are those SCORM packages extracted when they're going to be used? If so, does DELETE also delete the extracted version?

2. Mp3/jpg files added via the file picker (add image/add audio) in the text editor of page activities

In this case, I can browse the file picker (server files > current topic OR embedded files > current topic) and see the files there, but I don't see a way of actually deleting them.

Could anyone shed some light about how to achieve this?

My original idea, until I realized that file names were encrypted in moodledata > filedir, was to delete them via command line using some find and delete command, but obviously that's not possible anymore (I think this changed in Moodle 2.0?).

Is there any tool/plugin that would allow me (admin) to browse ALL the uploaded files in the server and just delete them, even if I have to go one by one? I have been looking around with no success.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert R.

Re: Help removing uploaded files

by Deb Rymer -
I have this same question. Did you find any help with this, Albert?
In reply to Albert R.

Re: Help removing uploaded files

by Christine Scully -
I too have a similar question, the help files state the embedded files will be removed when it is noted they are no longer utilised - however, I have just discovered we have files that have been sitting there for up to 2 years, unused and still taking up space. It would be great to be able to clean up our page. I look forward to a resolution
Thanks