Getting Invalid Login Error

Getting Invalid Login Error

by satish s -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

Require help to address the Login error issue. Two years back I have installed Moodle 3.6 application and did not face any issue till last evening when students logged in. Yesterday all students were getting Invalid login error messages. Not sure what is wrong with the application.

I have not done any changes in the backend too, but still getting an invalid error.

Appreciate your support to resolve this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to satish s

Re: Getting Invalid Login Error

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Can the site admin and teachers log in?

Are these students internally authenticated by Moodle ("manual" users):

Screenshot of edit user profile showing "Choose an authentication method" set to "Manual accounts".

Or are they authenticated by an external service, for example: LDAP (including Active Directory) or External Database?

You can also check this in the database, for example:

SELECT id, auth, username FROM mdl_user;
+----+--------+--------------------------------------+
| id | auth   | username                             |
|  1 | manual | guest                                |
|  2 | manual | admin                                |
|  3 | ldap   | boyle                                |
|  4 | ldap   | curie                                |
|  5 | db     | jane                                 |
|  6 | db     | elroy                                |
In reply to Leon Stringer

by satish s -
Thanks for the quick response, Leon.

As an admin, it allows to login. However, Student login throws an error message as an Invalid log-in.

I checked the authentication method, it is not "Manual"... above is the screengrab for reference, which records as "LDAP server".

From the last two years, I never came across an "Invalid Login error" message. Students are given links and the system record all the data through LDAP.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

In reply to satish s

by Leon Stringer -

So the likely causes are:

1. the Moodle server is unable to connect to the LDAP server, or
  2. the LDAP server does not recognise the username or password the user has entered.

First test the connection (point 1) by going to Site adminstration ▸ Plugins ▸ Authentication ▸ Manage authentication and clicking Test settings for the LDAP server entry:

Screenshot of the "LDAP server" entry on the "Manage authentication" page.

It should say "Connecting to your LDAP server was successful".

by Leon Stringer -

In fact, point 2 is more likely if you're getting "Invalid login, please try again". Moodle sends the username as the LDAP attribute specified in Moodle in User attribute with the entered password to the LDAP server. So maybe user details or passwords have been changed on the LDAP server.

Also check the config changes report to see if anything has been changed on the Moodle site.

If it's still not working please share the value of your User attribute field and the type of the LDAP server (for example: Active Directory or OpenLDAP).

by satish s -
I followed the steps that you shared #2...it got "Connecting to your LDAP server was successful".

Just to check if LDAP server is "disabled" will that cause any issue for all users?
In reply to satish s

by Leon Stringer -

If LDAP server is "disabled" then no users with authentication method set to LDAP server will be able to log in.