Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Sergio Galeani -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

my university is currently using moodle 3.5 in Italian (I don't know if this was updated in the last few months), and I am using the "quiz" to give final exams to my students.

When we first used the quizzes, it was possible to monitor the students' progress through the quiz by looking at the "Attempts" ("tentativo" in Italian), where it would show the evaluation for the already submitted questions, and "--" for the questions still unanswered.

After the summer (and, I think, a re-installation of Moodle), I am unable to see the progress: while the quiz is open, I only see "--" for all questions (included the already answered and closed ones), and after the student closes his own quiz, then I can see the results for all question at once. I still can click on each single "--" and, if the student has already answered that question, than I can see its evaluation, but this is far less useful.

How can I have again the ability to monitor the student's progress through questions? Is it an installation-wide setting, or it just depends on the settings I am choosing for my quiz?

Thanks for your help!

Sergio

PS: if it helps to understand better, below is a picture from the "Attempts" of a closed quiz, where all the evaluations of each single question (D.1, D.2, ... that is "Question.1", "Question.2",...) 
screenshot of "Tentativi" ("Attempts") where single question evaluations appear

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sergio Galeani

Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
At the top of that screen, there is a form with various options. One of the options is which sort of attempts to show (In-progress, Submitted, ...). Check those options.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Sergio Galeani -
Thanks for the quick reply!

I am quite sure that I tried different combinations (right now, I see on the last quiz that I gave to my students, all the options are checked, which I would assume shows whatever is available) with no luck...

However, I have a new test tomorrow, so I'll try playing with those (is the effect immediate, if I change which options are checked, and reload the page?)

Once again, thanks for the quick reply and help!
In reply to Tim Hunt

Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Sergio Galeani -
Hi,
today's update: during today's exam, I tried changing all available options, but with no useful result.

Any other suggestion?

PS: I also realized that there is a plugin:

https://moodle.org/plugins/quiz_liveviewgrid

which might help, although I'd be happier to use a built-in solution (I wonder if the plugin uses the option/setting that I had previously available by default, so that the plugin can solve the problem only if it is already solved by plain moodle....)

Re: Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, you don't need to wait for a real exam to test this. If you use two different web browsers, you can log in to Moodle as two different users, and see things from both student and teacher point of view (if someone will give you a test login.)

You can also use the Moodle demo site. And if I go to https://qa.moodledemo.net/mod/quiz/report.php?id=30&mode=overview and log in as the 'teacher' account, then I can see the state of an in-progress attempt by 'Sally Student'. That seeme to be what you want.

Now you just need to work out why it is not working on your site, when it works on the demo site.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Sergio Galeani -

Dear Tim,

thanks for suggesting the demo & page, it is exactly the feature I'm trying to recover.

I tried changing all available settings on that page as well, and (in the demo) I still can see the partial results, no matter what changes I make - so either something is broken on my university's site, or the culprit setting is hiding somewhere else...

I'll keep ruminating the issue...

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Does your quiz have all the questions on one page?

In the admin settings for your Moodle (Admin -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> Quiz) is the 'Autosave' setting turned off? (That would be bad!)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Sergio Galeani -
The quiz has one question per page (Moodle randomizes which question is on which page), with sequential navigation.

I cannot access the admin settings (I can ask my admin), but if it helps, I see that the students' responses are automatically saved every n minutes (I think n=1)

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Seeing partial results of completed answers while students take the quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Well, if there is on question per page, the students results are saved each time they move to the next page. Really odd that it is not showing up on your system even though it works on the Moodle demo site.