PHP > 7.4.11 slowness

PHP > 7.4.11 slowness

by David Castro -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

We've been testing Moodle with PHP 7.4 for a while now. We upgraded from PHP 7.4.11 to 7.4.15 recently, and Moodle started behaving really slow. DB connections and upgrades took longer than before, and SCSS compilation never finished, so we had to roll back to PHP 7.4.11.

We weren't sure of the version actually fixing it until we rolled back. Is there any change in PHP that anyone thinks could impact Moodle badly?
https://www.php.net/ChangeLog-7.php

Or are there ini flags we should take into account when using Moodle with PHP 7.4?

Regards,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Castro

Re: PHP > 7.4.11 slowness

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
For what it is worth, I am right in the middle, php 7.4.13, and I am running Moodle on a VPS. Nope, I don't detect any slowness with php 7.4.13. Can't help you about 7.4.15.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by David Castro -
Thanks for replying so quickly. Is it possible for you to share your phpinfo? Maybe we updated a dependency or a library that's causing this.
In reply to David Castro

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Do you say, you upgraded PHP from 7.4.11 to 7.4.15 and immediately noticed a slowness. Then rolled back to 7.11 and the site is back to normal?

What is the Moodle version? Any non-core plug-ins, code changes?

What is the platform, release/distribution?

Also what are the specific web server settings, htaccess, or Nginx reverse proxy settings. PHP CGI or FPM, etc.?

P.S. Worth moving the discussion to the Hardware and performance forum.