When will we be able to use TinyCME in Moodle?

When will we be able to use TinyCME in Moodle?

от Vu Hung -
Number of replies: 23
Hi Janne,
As I know, we planned to replace HTML Area with TinyCME. I aslo downloaded the latest version of Moodle 1.6. The problem is I could not find the way to use TinyCME, although I saw a new tab TinyCME in the editor configuration section.

Thanks Janne for your new integration!
In reply to Vu Hung

Re: When will we be able to use TinyCME in Moodle?

от Janne Mikkonen -
Hi Vu Hung,

No, we're not going to replace HTMLArea with TinyMCE ( which isn't tiny at all ), but we'll let the users choose which editor she/or he prefers ( unless developer for some reason has forced editor to be just one of them).

The intergration is still going on and modules code need to be fine tuned for this change ( which isn't that big at all ). So stay tuned Tiny will appear at some point (soon).

- Janne -
In reply to Vu Hung

от Rob Barreca -
I'm currently using TinyMCE in 1.5.3+ using the backported changes found in the forums and it is working great! 

Except, I'd like to configure it to be able to open an "upload and add images" screen when clicking the add image button like the old htmlarea (instead of just typing in the URL of the image).  I'm sure this is planned for 1.6 so I downloaded HEAD from CVS but couldn't find it.  Is that already done for in HEAD or is it still on the TODO list?
In reply to Rob Barreca

от Janne Mikkonen -
Sorry тъжен
Most likely Tiny is not going to make into 1.6 ( the code is there but we should go through modules to add support for this new editor code, the change is not big but it's enough ) because at the moment I have very little time for it + I'm sick again (grrrr, past five months there's not been many healthy days for me).

Tiny will have image and file dialog but not that fancy as I planned. Time and money issue again and Tiny's new code had changed just so nicely that functions I had used earlier were deprecated already and didn't work anymore.

But stay tuned It'll be there sooner than you think.

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

от Rob Barreca -
Well I need this functionality pretty soon, so I'd like to go ahead and work on the popup image uploader for TinyMCE.

Where have you guys left off? Should I be working off HEAD and looking at the htmlarea image uploader code as an example (I know the code will be different)?

If you got a sec, give me a push in the right direction and we'll see what I can do.

Thanks Janne!
In reply to Rob Barreca

от Janne Mikkonen -
I'd really like to use same dialogs for htmlarea and Tiny ( image and files ) so we don't have to maintain two different image and file managers. And we should be able to use htmlarea's dialogs with Tiny's execcommand_callback system. Earlier I was using insertimage_callback but it doesn't work anymore in version 2.0.4.

So it can be tricky to make it work.

And I was hoping that I could unify image and files dialog to look something like the screenshot attached ( very raw sketch ).

- Janne -
Attachment filemanager.gif
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

от venkatesan iyengar -
Janne,

Since, tinymce does not have its own filemanager (atleast on free), I read in the tinymce forum that somebody merged tinymce and fckeditor's file manager. CAn that be modified to suit moodle's requirements.
In reply to Vu Hung

от Rob Barreca -
I'm just getting things ported over to 1.6.  What is the proper way to enable TinyMCE.  I've hacked 1.5.3+ along with TinyFCK file manager and that works, but I want to implement TinyMCE in 1.6 with the least amount of changes possible.  It looks like the functionality is there, am I just being dense?
In reply to Vu Hung

от Martin Dougiamas -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Documentation writers Снимка на Moodle HQ Снимка на Particularly helpful Moodlers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers
Janne, can you post instructions for enabling tinymce in 1.6?  

You skyped them to me once but I've lost them and have no time to look through code anymore.  изплезване
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

от Fredi Gertsch -
Janne, can you post instructions for enabling tinymce in 1.6? Thanks.
In reply to Vu Hung

Re: When will we be able to use TinyMCE in Moodle?

от Rob Barreca -
Has anyone found out how to properly enable and use TinyMCE in 1.6?
In reply to Rob Barreca

от aggelos panagiotakis -
good and healthy month everywhere!
does anybody know what happened to the so called "tinyMCE integration"?
In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

от Martin Dougiamas -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Documentation writers Снимка на Moodle HQ Снимка на Particularly helpful Moodlers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers
No-one's working on it right now that I know of. I'd love to see someone have another go at this with the latest TinyMCE and all the tweaks to get XHTML Strict 1.0 code.

A simple replacement should be almost trivial. The problems will be all the little "corners" like image upload etc and that's something that we(Moodle HQ) haven't got time for in 1.9.

от Marc Bria Ramirez -
Dear Martin, et.al.

Here in Spain (Catalonia) we are working on a new module called "easyEditor" that will take advantage of the existing tinyMCE integration to allow admins to define editor profiles based on roles (more info at: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=630).

As you probably know, Janne Mikkonen (I think) did a really nice work making extremely easy to allow any module select what editor to use (htmlarea or tinyMCE) so we are testing it development because she opened the door we needed.

If no one else will, I hope we will be able to fix any existing bugs (looks like there are some new issues to resolve with IE7) and offer the new code to the community... but our team is small and formed by last degree students so I can't say when it will be delivered.

Our new module belongs to a project called "moodle4kids" (or "space4kids", we are unsure about the names...) an was divided in 3 parts:

a) easyEditor (or "storytelling") will allow kids write and share their stories in a easy way.
b) galley4kids will let kids store and manage their multimedia creations. It will be integrated with easyEditor to let our kids place pictures, videos, sounds into their digital creations.
c) webmail4kids will integrate moodle with roundCube (an ajaxbased webmail) taking users and roles (as well as tinymce configuration) from moodle.

When finished the basis, we will develop a new moodle theme reflecting a lot about the children usability nuances.

If you or somebody else know about a group or individuals interested in similar issues or that want to "give a hand" we are really open to any collaboration and/or suggestions.

Back to the main subject of this thread -and talking directly with Moodle's main architect- I need to say that I have doubts about easyEditor as a module. Looks like it's natural place is admin's interface (admin_setting_special_editorhidebuttons at adminlib.php) but we wanted to test it in deep before sending our code to your team.

BTW, I got a question: Janne's code, don't force any editor... just request the module and if the module follows "julmis" suggestions (/lib/editor/neweditor_readme.txt) tinyMCE will be shown.

Is ok with you if we patch this code to let tinyMCE be the default one?
It also looks like a property that admin will be able to define... don't you think?

Best regards and thanks a lot for the valuable pice of software you all developed,

Marc Bria (not Ludoизплезване)

от Marc Bria Ramirez -
I missed to say that if you prefer a "simple replacement" we love to change our development approach in our EasyEditor subproject, but...

A replacement will be easier, but what will happen with those that still prefer htmlarea (don't ask me why изплезване)? Will htmlarea old fashioned html's code be full compatible with tinyMCE one? ...

BTW, we will test again Janne's development, but looks like she managed well to integrate tinyMCE with moodle's upload... so images won't be previewed, but could be uploaded and placed without major problems.

Cheers,

m.
In reply to Rob Barreca

от Johannes Stoll -
Hi folks,
greetings from Germany.

As far as I can see there has been no major changes since the last post in the year 2007 which is pretty sad traurig. You guys really give me a hard time believing that the tinycme project >for moodle< isn't dead. It is so great and provides a rich set of features I really want to use but can't because nobody seems to have the ability to give neither a clean port to a version below 2.0 which >doesn't need< to be integrated into moodle by hacks, tweaks, work arounds or clones of repositories or endless discussions about shell commands. Will there ever be a "hassle free" version without too much coding (don't get me wrong I'm a coder and I loved to fix it myself, but I don't have the time, user rights on the system I want to integrated it), bashing, unusefull unzipping hints, gitting or what ever in an earlier version of moodle than 2.0 ?? I know it's hard demanding a state of the "project / back port / integration" (what ever) right now right here but please try at least. Could we just stop replying with statements such as: "It works for me" or "I can't say exactly because I hacked it" ?!? What is it with you guys ?....We should start providing clean and detailed documentations what works on what system in what version... and finally what does NOT ! So that people stop flaming around....
To the responsible coders: where is the problem of using a source forge hosted repo for a this specific >tinymce moodle< topic which has been address over and over again in the past time and which >is< highly appreciated by moodle users ? Why don't we make the best of it ?

TinyMCE rocks my world breit grinsend Keep rocking !

I'd really like to know the answers to these questions and I appreciate >any< answers.

Thank you >very very< much for replying to this enormous post^^

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,
Johannes
In reply to Vu Hung

от Henry Happ -
I know I'm at the risk of getting flamed for dredging up an old thread, but I was wondering whether there was any progress in this direction.

Specifically, I would be ecstatic if I could just get the "Paste from Word" function from TinyMCE as the current "Clean Word HTML" function doesn't work.
In reply to Henry Happ

от Henry Happ -
After digging around a little more, I found tinyMCE in lib/editor with a file named 'neweditor_readme' that somewhat explains how to tell the system to use tinyMCE. However, the 'how' is escaping me and I would appreciate some help "interpreting" what is being said in terms of how to implement this.

Thanks.