Hide content folder

Hide content folder

by Marc Poirier -
Number of replies: 13

Hello, beside just disabling the content folder, is there a way to remove the folder icon. I have a client that uses Moodle and some of his teachers are trying to use the content folder to upload content for their courses (like a .doc, etc.) aimed at the students.

It would be less confusing if the folder wasn't there at all, but I don't want to delete it  completely, in case down the road they want to use it.

thx!

Marc.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Poirier

Re: Hide content folder

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marc Poirier -
hello Howard!

No, i'm talking about the actual "tab" to the left of the screen underneath the private files, you have "content bank", i would like this to disappear so that no one can mistakenly think they can add any type of content to it.
In reply to Marc Poirier

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Oh - I'd never noticed this feature before. It was new in 3.9 apparently. I too can't seem to find a way to disable it (I've tried both disabling the repository and the role capabilities).

That sounds like a bug or an oversight. I'll have a dig in the code later on.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marc Poirier

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Marc,

The Content Bank feature was key in the integration of H5P interactive content into Moodle core. Although you could tweak the nav bar with some Boost Navigation Fumbling (plugin), I don't think a tech approach is the solution to this problem. Instead, try to emphasize the use and purpose of the content bank for teaching staff: it's there for them to create interactive content.

If the staff want their students to upload files to a course, consider the Student Folder activity if no assessment is needed, or the Assignment activity if assessment and feedback are required.

But... if you do want to tinker with the code, consider the following:
core code mods are never a good idea
after a core code mod, upgrading will be problematic

You could try disabling the content bank access in the Teacher (editingteacher) role, or renaming the label to something understandable for your staff in Language customization.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Howard Miller -
I've realised that the link might be cleverer than I thought. I haven't tried it but I suspect that removing content bank capabilities from the teacher role will make it go away if you don't need it.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marc Poirier -
OK, I will try that and let you know if a meltdown occurred lol smile
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Marc Poirier -
Hello Joost, first off, no way for me to fiddle in the code, that was not an option to start with ;). But I do think that having the ability to show or hide these tabs should be an option. If by example I disable the content bank in the plugins/content bank, then it should hide itself. I did do an overview of what Moodle could do for them, but as a service provider, it is not my role to tell them what they should or not do with their product, but rather try to find a solution, to what seem for them like "a big deal" and really yesterday it seemed like it was catastrophic LOL!!!. The option I had for them was, as you mentioned, disabling access to the content bank, but the question came back "why is the menu item still there" ;) I didn't think you could actually change the name of it, so that might actually be a good alternative...

cheers!
In reply to Marc Poirier

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Marc,

If you don't want to disable it completely by setting the permissions, as Helen says, but you only want to hide the menu item, then you can use the "Boost navigation fumbling" plugin to control that menu: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_boostnavigation
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Marc Poirier -
Thx Randy, yes i'll definitely take a look at it...

cheers!

Marc.
In reply to Marc Poirier

by Marc Poirier -

Works like a charm!! OMG!! I now look like a superhero to my client ;)

Thank you all for your help! greatly appreciated! 

cheers!

Marc.

In reply to Marc Poirier

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Nice! Thank the good folks at Ulm University for an excellent plugin.