Urgent: Downgrading from 4.0dev (Build: 20210108) to a stable version of Moodle.

Re: Urgent: Downgrading from 4.0dev (Build: 20210108) to a stable version of Moodle.

by Michael Milette -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Stephen,

Depending on the complexity of your Moodle site, another option might be to backup all of your courses including users, blocks, etc. and restore them all into a new instance of Moodle. Still a lot of work and you may need to manually deal with missing information like glossaries which are not included in course backups but can be exported and re-imported.

The Moosh command line tool may be helpful in bulk backing up and restoring your courses.

I see you do have a backup system in place but this might benefit others reading too: Implement an automated backup system for your Moodle site. It would have been much easier to restore a site from a full backup (application, moodledata and SQL database). Always make an extra full backup of your Moodle site just before making any application file changes (in climaintenance mode). I know it can be a pain and extends your maintenance period but you can never be 100% sure that a change won't be disastrous, even if it seemed to work perfectly in your development/test environment. It is also a good idea to periodically test your backup, changes (always) and restore process on a copy of your Moodle site just to make sure the backups are working properly. Disaster recovery plans are worth your time, money and effort. The only time you should skip all this is if you are ready and willing to lose it all.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

Michael Milette
Average of ratings: Useful (2)