server shut down by provider

server shut down by provider

by stefan kraus -
Number of replies: 4

My provider shut down our moodle server this morning. The problem is: He assumes that a script in moodle directory contains a recoursive call of itself. The CPU saturation is 100%.

One year ago we had the same problem on another server. Because of that problem we changed the provider.

Is it possible that s.o. uploads a php file or anything else that causes this problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan kraus

Re: server shut down by provider

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Do you use the build in backup function? It's a rather intensive process. For larger sites on shared host you can better dump the database as a whole. There was also a not so elegant query which consumed a lot in the backup version before september 2005...
In reply to stefan kraus

by John Rodgers -
One thing to check (and this is a shot in the dark) is to see if you have an older version of hot potatoes (pre 2.1?  I'm not sure) serving up files which contain html tags.  For a reason I can't appreciate this was a server crippling combination. 

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=30290
In reply to John Rodgers

by stefan kraus -

Thank you. But its nothing of that.

Is it possible that it's a php or a moodle bug?

Does anyone have a similar problem?

In reply to stefan kraus

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Could you solve the problem?

If not please give more information like exactly which version of Moodle, any CVS updates, the host system, size of your installation in terms of number of users, the size of an SQL dump, ...

I remember there was an issue with the backup scripts taking a long time and ultimately overlapping sad Otherwise, Moodle does well what it supposed to do.

The point is that Moodle is supposed to do a _lot_, so sometimes hosters who are used to static personal homepages get baffeled by what Moodle demands!