Model for predicting the possibility that a student will drop out of studies

Model for predicting the possibility that a student will drop out of studies

by Prova Provino -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone.
I open this discussion to ask if there was the possibility of having the precise model that allows us to have the probability that a student will drop out of the course of study . Specifically, I would like, eventually, to understand the scrpit that allows you to consider the different variables and the weights attributed to them. 
I know that moodle allows for this but I don't know if it's possible to know the model working behind that percentage.

Thank you so much for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Prova Provino

Re: Model for predicting the possibility that a student will drop out of studies

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Prova,

That model is pretty well documented here:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Students_at_risk_of_dropping_out

At a high level, each core Moodle activity provides a social and cognitive indicator. Moodle uses a target of "Enroled students show no activity in the final quarter of the course." and passes those users to the model with their associated indicators to train the Model - eg "these are the users that show behaviour we want to predict"

Then it collects that data for your current users for each time-frame analysis and sends those indicators to the Machine learning engine and at the core model returns a boolean response for users that match the trained indicators.

If you're a developer you might want to look at some specific indicators to see how they generate those values in the code - take a look in the activity/classes/indicator folders - eg assign/classes/indicator for the code behind each indicator.

hope that's useful!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

Ri: Re: Model for predicting the possibility that a student will drop out of studies

by Prova Provino -
Thank you for your kind reply, Dan!
But is it not possible to have exactly the model used to include all the indicators considered?

The procedure is quite clear, however I really would to have the precise model used to define belonging to a certain response class.

I hope for your later help!

Thank you
In reply to Prova Provino

Re: Ri: Re: Model for predicting the possibility that a student will drop out of studies

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can see this in your existing Moodle site by going to the admin > analytics > analytics models, but the default list of indicators used in the at risk of dropping out model is this list of 49 indicators:

Course accessed after end date
Course accessed before start date
Any write action in the course
Read actions amount
Assignment cognitive
Assignment social
Book cognitive
Book social
Chat cognitive
Chat social
Choice cognitive
Choice social
Database cognitive
Database social
Feedback cognitive
Feedback social
Folder cognitive
Folder social
Forum cognitive
Forum social
Glossary cognitive
Glossary social
IMS pkg cognitive
IMS pkg social
Label cognitive
Label social
Lesson cognitive
Lesson social
LTI cognitive
LTI social
Page cognitive
Page social
Quiz cognitive
Quiz social
File cognitive
File social
SCORM cognitive
SCORM social
Survey cognitive
Survey social
URL cognitive
URL social
Wiki cognitive
Wiki social
Workshop cognitive
Workshop social
Completion tracking enabled
Course potential cognitive depth
Course potential social breadth
In reply to Dan Marsden

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Model for predicting the possibility that a student will drop out of studies

by Prova Provino -
Thank u very much Dan! smile