MNet remote enrollment does not work

Re: MNet remote enrollment does not work

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Sergiy

I just tried and I can confirm that MNet remote enrolments still work in Moodle 3.10.

What helps me is to stop using terminology like "server A" but start thinking in terms of "MNet identity provider (IdP)" (the host where users have their native accounts and where they log in) and "MNet service provider (SP)" (the host where the courses are and where the users roam into).

With this in mind, to summarise:

• On both hosts, you need to have the other one registered as the MNet peer
  • On the IdP host, go to Site administration > Networking > Manage peers, click the peer's name and go to "Services" tab
  • There you must subscribe to the enrolment service, publish SSO (Identity provider) and subscribe to SSO (Service provider)
  • On the SP host at the same place, you must do the opposite: publish the enrolment service, subscribe to SSO (Identity provider) and publish SSO (Service provider)
  • Create a user account on the IdP host and make sure the user has the capability to roam (as documented)
  • Enable MNet remote enrolment method on the SP
  • Create a course on the SP and add a new enrolment method - MNet remote enrolment
  • The admin at the IdP site can now use the Site administration > Networking > Remote enrolments client to enrol their local students into the remote course at SP

I admit the documentation may be a bit confusing with all the server A and server B etc. Please feel free and encouraged to improve it once you get your setup working. I think the problem of the documentation is that it tries to describe bi-directional setup where the two hosts are both identity providers and service providers. I would generally recommend to discourage from that as it only makes things more confusing and has higher chance of various conflicts.

Screenshot of services screen

Average of ratings: Useful (4)