Moodle for Desktop Issues

Moodle for Desktop Issues

by Chase Rowley -
Number of replies: 8

Hello!

I have been utilizing the moodle for desktop app since August of 2020 but have been having issues as of two days ago. When I try to open the app on my MacBook Air, it will do one of the following, in no particular order:

• App begins to load, secondary screen labeled moodlemobile* pops up, neither page loads content
  • App begins to load, secondary screen labeled moodlemobile* then pops up, Desktop page load slightly (sidebar and options to click 'My Courses') but then stops and nothing is clickable
  • Neither page pops up, computer crashes and restarts. 

*moodlemobile has never popped up previously

I have deleted the app from my computer and redownloaded it, fully restarted my computer with and without the app and so far nothing is working. 

I downloaded the app for the Apple Store, is it currently version 3.9.2 and I am using it on my Macbook Air. Let me know if you need any more information or if anyone is having similar issues and knows how to troubleshoot. Thank you!

Attachment Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.09.14 AM.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chase Rowley

Re: Moodle for Desktop Issues

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Any connection to this announcement Moodle Desktop to be discontinued?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The purpose of Moodle for Desktop has always been lost on me - accept, perhaps, as a curiousity.

Why would you when the web version exists?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello, I'm just moving this discussion to the Moodle for mobile forum where you'll most likely receive an answer Chase.

Thanks Visvanath for the reminder that Moodle Desktop is to be discontinued.

As for why would you use Moodle for Desktop, as far as I know it's to have Moodle app functionality, such as attempting quizzes offline, on your laptop or Surface tablet.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yes, Visvanath, thanks for pointing this out. I support the discontinuation.

I have the Moodle Desktop installed, but I never use it. Here's my take. Other LMSs, like Canvas, have a mobile app. Many students seem to like it. Recall that Canvas is not "responsive" so if you run Canvas from your smartphone's browser, you need to "pinch in" and "pinch out" a lot. This is why the Canvas app "must" be used on a student's smartphone. Moodle, however, is responsive (Boost) so I don't really see a need for even a mobile app, recognizing that Moodle's mobile app is really good, and some students like it. However, running the web-based Moodle on a smartphone is quite good. (I never run the Moodle mobile app.)

Anyway, I have always argued that if students like the Canvas app, it's look and feel, why doesn't Canvas convert its web product to look like its mobile app. Why confuse students?  Well, this was the (small) role of Moodle's Desktop app, in my mind, to allow students who like the Moodle mobile app's look and feel to have the same look and feel on their desktop. However, to me, such a small benefit never seemed to justify the development of this Moodle desktop app. If it was Canvas, yep, big advantage. Probably the same for Blackboard, and perhaps Desire2Learn (Brightspace.) These other companies have not been able to transition their web-based products over to a "responsive" web design. Remember, the concept of "responsive" web pages is really really new, developed in about 2010!  You can't expect LMS companies to be that modern, can you?   😀

Now, actually, back a long time ago, somewhere around Moodle 2.0 or so, I was running the "formal white" theme because it was somewhat responsive.  Of course, once Boost arrived, I switched!  It was great having a Moodle theme that looked good from a smartphone's small browser screen.

So the only role that I ever saw for Moodle Desktop was a slight "marketing" advantage.  Being able to claim "If you like Moodle's mobile app, you can also have the same look and feel on your Desktop."  But Moodle doesn't "market" Moodle!  So is this really an advantage?  (Perhaps, especially when other LMSs make marketing claims that they cannot do.)

That's my long version of my view of the Desktop app.

To end this story, what is most significant is probably that Apple, now with its own CPU, says that their Macs will be able to run any mobile app right on the desktop!  I haven't seen this in action yet, but it is quite significant if true.  (I think mobile apps might need to be designed for them to run on the Mac with the M1-CPU, but it probably is not that hard a transition.)  I am still waiting for Apple to finalize their newest 16" Mac with the M1 chip.  (And I still owe Visvanath a Mac, when we meet in person in Switzerland someday. 😉 )

In reply to Rick Jerz

Hi Rick

Moodle Desktop has a genuine case, for those who need the off-line capabilities of the App but do not want the surveillance of smart phones. People like me, but I am not in the majority.
wink
In reply to Chase Rowley

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Perhaps as an aside, we have found that use of the app has declined markedly after reaching a peak two or three years ago. Students who use mobile devices use their browsers.

We worked out that we have about 200 regular users (out of c. 30,000 students)
In reply to Howard Miller

So the "Web 3" generation, aka mobile-friendly themes, is cutting in to the Mobile App? Sounds logical, provided one doesn't need the off-line capabilities of the App and don't mind the surveillance.

The First World for example. I am active in a sub-continent where there are more mobiles than people but the connectivity is either poor or too expensive. (And they don't mind a weekly walk to the Internet "pumping station" at school.) Hard luck!
In reply to Chase Rowley

by Chase Rowley -
Thanks everyone for the replies! I didn't see that is was being discontinued. Bummer as I really enjoyed the app. I think the webpage is incredibly clunky and the app was much easier to navigate back-and-forth between posts and assignments. I would not be able to use the mobile app for homework and they are basically writing small essays every week and downloaded 30 page articles to read and I'm not about to buy a whole new computer just to have the M1 apple chip.