Comparisons and advocacy

MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

If you think that using the web for teaching means dumping documents online where your students can get them; sharing lists of links; and uploading SCORM packages, then Sharepoint will work for you. Moodle has rather higher aspirations: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Pedagogy#Social_Constructionism_as_a_Referent

There is a place for both viewpionts in the world (but the place for one of them may not be here wink)

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I must make comment on a thread that was started nearly 6 years and 351 days ago.... Sharepoint?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of hesham mohamed
إعادة: Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

My IT department is trying to setup MS Sharepoint as a solution for everything including CMS. Does anyone know if Sharepoint can work as an effective CMS? Can it compete with Moodle?

Re: إعادة: Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

My sarcasm has gone unnoticed it would seem.

Sharepoint has a lot of features that are useful - no doubt about it. There are a lot of plugins you can download, and some are free, that you might find useful. In the end, I suggest Sharepoint itself is little more than a shell and a repository. It sucks at being much else. You would be better off financially if you set up a linux web server and included nothing but open source tools for education purposes. we are finding a number of issues associated with SharePoint, including license issues in using a VDI for example, that, I suggest, diminishes Sharepoint's usefulness.    

Picture of Scott Karren

Colin

Did you notice that the post is an exact copy of the OP?  Makes me wonder if this is a real request or someone trying to keep this thread alive.

I do agree with you in that "Sharepoint itself is little more than a shell and a repository".

Scott

Well, Scott, I had not noticed really, because I was responding for my own reasons. Having said that, I hope that it was someone from Microsoft, or someone from Microsoft actually reads it, perhaps they will encourage the MS Devs to improve on a product that is easily outperformed by existing Open Source products. Or maybe they will recognise they have a product that is like a lump of wood but it can be turned into a fine bowl if they were to make it Open Source. Who knows...