MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

by Dubs DJ -
Number of replies: 8

I would just like to add my bit about SharePoint Vs Moodle. I am an IT manager and I have experience in setting up Moodle in a previous post. When I started at my new post they were also running moodle. The problem with Moodle is that its just too complicated to do the simple things like adding links / files etc, so much that absolutely nobody bothered to use it.. I know there are people that will say no its not complicated but in my honest opinion yes it is too fiddly..

So I set up SharePoint 2010 at my school and yes it was quite tricky to set it up initially and configuring it properly is very tough, I have spent hours on forums to get it up and running properly.

But I have to say that it was worth it, I have had a surge in content being added by students and teachers who were simply afraid of moodle.. They add links add assignments (Yes you can have assignments in sharepoint using Sharepoint learning kit) You can even add scorm packages! The only thing it lacks as standard is reporting functionality on the assignments but this isn't really an issue at my school anyway.

The beauty of Sharepoint is that you can easily set up document areas and share them due to the ease of assigning very fine tuned permissions on just about everything, it makes things so easy to manage.

Not to mention the Google style sharepoint search system which is absolutely brilliant!

I'm not a moodle hater and I have experience in setting it up and using it but my opinon is  that SharePoint is actually better due to it being a lot easier for novices to add content. The thing is from my experience and from visiting quite a number of schools (Most use Moodle) is that most of the schools I have seen don't really use the full functionality of moodle , for example all the reporting features blah blah.. From my observations, all they really want to use it for is for sharing files and adding links! That's pretty much it.. Oh and perhaps the odd Scorm package which is quite rare these days thanks to the cloud hosting most applications..

I have spent many hours trying to teach users to add content to moodle but a week later virtually nobody went near it because they had forgotten how to do it. With SharePoint I only needed to show them once and they are all adding content with ease!

In some ways though its a bit unfair to compare SharePoint to Moodle because Moodle is far more established in the educational environment but the problem is that Microsoft have that power to edge into anything they want due to their power in the computing world.

And because it's a school Sharepoint doesn't cost hardly anything! It cost me around 350 quid for a licence under my school agreement which is to be honest completely peanuts!

As far as setting it up is concerned I can understand why most schools stick with Moodle because sharepoint is a beast to set up properly! It was a real headache but I can say was definetly worth the time spent trauling through the event viewer fixing all the errors thrown up during the setup phase. To be fair though I think Microsoft offer SharePoint free on their 365 cloud so you don't even have to worry about setting it all up now..

Long live Moodle and Long live SharePoint! Different beasts completely but both very good in their own right.

In reply to Dubs DJ

by Peter Seaman -

Helen, I know it has been discussed in this forum before, but I think this forum would be so much more useful if it had two requirements:

1) Actively moderated (actual spam gets thru on a regular basis);

2) People use their real names, so that we can judge whether we're getting a sales pitch or the poster has nothing to gain.

Thanks.

Peter

In reply to Dubs DJ

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you think that using the web for teaching means dumping documents online where your students can get them; sharing lists of links; and uploading SCORM packages, then Sharepoint will work for you. Moodle has rather higher aspirations: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Pedagogy#Social_Constructionism_as_a_Referent

There is a place for both viewpionts in the world (but the place for one of them may not be here wink)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I must make comment on a thread that was started nearly 6 years and 351 days ago.... Sharepoint?

In reply to Colin Fraser

إعادة: Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

by hesham mohamed -
My IT department is trying to setup MS Sharepoint as a solution for everything including CMS. Does anyone know if Sharepoint can work as an effective CMS? Can it compete with Moodle?
In reply to hesham mohamed

Re: إعادة: Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

by Colin Fraser -

My sarcasm has gone unnoticed it would seem.

Sharepoint has a lot of features that are useful - no doubt about it. There are a lot of plugins you can download, and some are free, that you might find useful. In the end, I suggest Sharepoint itself is little more than a shell and a repository. It sucks at being much else. You would be better off financially if you set up a linux web server and included nothing but open source tools for education purposes. we are finding a number of issues associated with SharePoint, including license issues in using a VDI for example, that, I suggest, diminishes Sharepoint's usefulness.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Scott Karren -

Colin

Did you notice that the post is an exact copy of the OP?  Makes me wonder if this is a real request or someone trying to keep this thread alive.

I do agree with you in that "Sharepoint itself is little more than a shell and a repository".

Scott

In reply to Scott Karren

by Colin Fraser -

Well, Scott, I had not noticed really, because I was responding for my own reasons. Having said that, I hope that it was someone from Microsoft, or someone from Microsoft actually reads it, perhaps they will encourage the MS Devs to improve on a product that is easily outperformed by existing Open Source products. Or maybe they will recognise they have a product that is like a lump of wood but it can be turned into a fine bowl if they were to make it Open Source. Who knows...

In reply to Dubs DJ

by John Gifford -

I can say that I have a foot in both camps having setup both sharepoint and Moodle, I've got to say I prefer Moodle.

The school I work at had a working sharepoint environment with the SIMS Learning Gateway (SLG) modules attached. It worked but it was tempremental as hell; teachers would lose whole reports simply because they didn't save the changes on a regular basis, it was mostly the SLG parts messing around. It also came with the Granada education learning platform for about 25K, which never worked correctly!
Then we upgraded to SLGv2 and lost the learning platform as Granada stonewalled our LEA about releasing it, it simply didn't work on v2.
So one of our deputy heads delivered an ultimatum to the LEA "get it working or get it out!" so they tore it out. We've still got the SLG but it's  secondary and with remote access is really being superceded.

At that time I'd been talking about Moodle for 10 years, primarily as a means of delivering homework rather than a classroom thing, the only reason they chose the SLG was for the SIMS integration which Moodle didn't have. So once the Granada platform was removed I "stepped into the breach" with v1.9; we got upwards of 2000 students enrolled though it was awkward to use as a teacher.
I've upgraded to 2.4, cleaning out the userlist in the process, and I've got to say that the whole interface is masses easier (when you add Google chrome you literally have drag and drop functionality for courses) and being php based makes it independent of Microsoft. A teacher wants something particular added I can add it if I can find it. In the month that 2.4 has been active, barring teething problems like the https home access not working, we've gone to 175 users with 5 separate departments wanting training in using the new version.

Overall I'd therefore say though it's horses for courses, sharepoint is OK but it's coming from a business environment not a classroom.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)