Major upgrade broke STACK, now getting "CASText failed validation. TIMEDOUT dumped"

Re: Major upgrade broke STACK, now getting "CASText failed validation. TIMEDOUT dumped"

by Tom Smith -
Number of replies: 5
Hmm, I checked the "qtype_stack | platform" ... "Linux" (it was) and "qtype_stack | maximaversion" as 5.43.2; command line maxima reports as 5.43.2-3 so this seems like the best option. The healthcheck script fails with similar errors and when I tried to run the 'create optimised image', I got:

STACK healthcheck
Automatically create an optimised Maxima image

stack_ast_container: tried to get the value from of an unevaluated casstring.

More information about this error
In reply to Tom Smith

Re: Major upgrade broke STACK, now getting "CASText failed validation. TIMEDOUT dumped"

by Thorsten Bartel -
Picture of Core developers
Well, creating an optimized image is pretty much expected to fail if the healthcheck itself fails.
If Maxima is running on a system level, you could always try to create the optimized image yourself:
https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/blob/master/doc/en/CAS/Optimising_Maxima.md
(Look for the chapter titled "Create Maxima Image by hand".)

You might at the very least get more detailed error output during this process.
If this fails, too, you can also set up another machine with an older version of Maxima (typically Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Maxima 5.41.0), copy the STACK libraries to that system, create the optimised image there, then copy the finished image to your Moodle server. You'll obviously have to specify the older Maxima version in the question type settings and most likely you'll have to ensure that compatible Lisp versions / libraries are in use on both machines.
In reply to Thorsten Bartel

by Susan Mangan -

This is way above my paygrade - lol. I am getting the exact same errors Tom Smith reported.

In response to:

To resolve this issue, please delete the old optimized maxima image and instead set "qtype_stack | platform" to "Linux". Please ensure that the correct maxima version is selected in "qtype_stack | maximaversion" and that "qtype_stack | maximacommand" has the correct value (in most cases STACK will guess correctly if left empty).

Settings are as follows:
qtype_stack | platform = Linux
qtype_stack | maximaversion = 5.44

Upon running the Healthcheck-Script, you should find an option to automatically create a new optimized image at the very bottom. I have observed newer versions of STACK performing this task automatically during the plugin upgrade process.

I have cleared the cache and clicked on the button Create Maxima Image which returns: stack_ast_container: tried to get the value from of an unevaluated casstring.

If these steps fail to solve your problem, please provide more information.

I'm not sure what other information I can provide? We did have this working previously - I believe it was before the upgrade to 3.9.

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Thorsten Bartel -
I can see how you might be overwhelmed by this issue if administration of server-level applications is not what you're usually doing.
The "easiest" way to circumvent your problem is most likely to install an older version of Maxima and/or build the Maxima image manually as described above.
You could also check using a different lisp implementation: Tom's error message suggests he's using GCL - if this is also the case for you, a switch to CLISP might be worth a try.

As you're running Maxima 5.44 on Linux, I'm assuming you're using a distribution I'm not intimately familiar with. Also, if this is something you're having troubles resolving by yourself, you should involve the person administrating your servers and check whether you can run tests with downgrading Maxima / manually building an image under their guidance / with their assistance.

The steps to troubleshoot this problem beyond the advice I provided here are much too small to be feasibly made without hands-on assistance and direct access to the server environment.

Wish you the best with overcoming this problem!
Cheers
In reply to Thorsten Bartel

by Susan Mangan -
Thank you very much for your reply. That is what we were trying to do (myself and our web systems administrator) but downgrading does not seem to be an easy task as each time he tried there was another dependency which kept leading him down a rabbit hole.

We running RH8 - I wonder if anyone who reads this has a working solution with either 5.44 or 5.41 could they confirm what distro they used?
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Thorsten Bartel -
That's an easy one: We're running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS (different servers). Both had no issues with Maxima 5.41.