by Florian Metzger-Noel -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I just activated "Sign in with Google" using OAUTH and I wondered, if it's possible to have "Sign in with Apple" as well. I couldn't find any information on this using google and the moodle.org search.. As i understand the situation, "Sign in with Apple" is based on OAUTH - so it should be possible in general. Does anyone have experience with that? There's a lot of iPhone users out there, so that seems like an essential feature.

Same goes for Instagram - has anyone achived to configure moodles OAUTH for Instagram, yet?

Thank you for your time

Florian Metzger

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florian Metzger-Noel

Re: Log in with Apple (OAUTH) ?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, I'll start the discussion (maybe others will join in) with questions for you ...

What advantage would there be for you as admin of your Moodle and especially your students using your Moodle IF there were such an authentication plugin?

And a comment: Authentications require 2 ends ... the Moodle plugin is one end, and the other would be Apple.    I would imagine, if there were a plugin for Moodle, it would have to interface with something like Jaml - which is an admin interface for controlling apple devices issued by an entity ... like a school issuing iPads to students or iPhones issued by an entity.

Does your entity issue Apple devices to students?

Would you be willing to take on admin of such an application?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Florian Metzger-Noel -
What advantage would there be for you as admin of your Moodle and especially your students using your Moodle IF there were such an authentication plugin?
There already is a similar functionality (Login with Google, Login with Facebook) which was popular enough to become part of moodle core. Apples "Login with Apple" is said to be based on OAUTH as well - so it should theoretically work with the existing Moodle OAUTH module when configured correctly. 
The advantage is, that Students don't have to remember their login/pass to enter moodle - this reduces the barrier for using it. Remembering a user/pass combination is for sure no problem for a university student - but moodle is not only for universities. The school I work for (as moodle admin/dev) is focussed on people who dropped out of the school system and tries to get them back into it. Lowering barriers of reentering is a key concept here.

And a comment: Authentications require 2 ends ... the Moodle plugin is one end, and the other would be Apple. I would imagine, if there were a plugin for Moodle, it would have to interface with something like Jaml - which is an admin interface for controlling apple devices issued by an entity ... like a school issuing iPads to students or iPhones issued by an entity.
The "sign in with Apple" functionality doesn't require centralized control of apple devices. It's a service usable for any website or app. I imagine the functionality 1:1 as the existing moodle function "Login with Google". (https://developer.apple.com/sign-in-with-apple/

Does your entity issue Apple devices to students?
No. But everybody has a smartphone - and there's only two operating systems out there... "Login with google" reliefs ~80% our students (all the android users) from having to remember yet another password while still keeping authentication safe. Now it's about the other 20%.

Would you be willing to take on admin of such an application?
I'm evaluating if I should program such a plugin and just ordered a used iphone to run some tests. If I would write it from scratch, I would publish it and care for it, of course.. 

'SoS', Ken
In reply to Florian Metzger-Noel

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You do make some good points ... which do have (like the other oauth2 auth options) two sides .... breaking down barriers yes but with anything there is the 'yin and yang'.

You know your 'clients/users' (as well as age) more than anyone else, so if an Apple thang would help, then go forth! smile

Does Apple offer an online 'Office Suite' or online storage [cheaply]?   That's the kind of 'benefit' I was hinting at.

Now I can't speak for Moodle HQ and core programmers, but I'd say that support for Apple products ... iphone, ipad, safari, etc. hasn't been very high on priority list.

Do go forth!!! and wish you the best with your endeavors - am a Mac user BTW - but like others, Android phone.

'Spirit of Sharing' (SoS), Ken