Limitation in powers of ten in Unit conversion?

Re: Limitation in powers of ten in Unit conversion?

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Bonjour Sylvain,

With the Formulas question type, you can use large powers of 10 in unit conversion, that is roughly up to 10300 (or less depending on the platform, the calculations and the precision).

You can try the following example here ↗.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Sylvain Lamige -
Hi Dominique, and thank you for your answer. I guess our school Moodle admins have not installed the plugin for Formulas question type yet (I'll try again to speak up for it).

Do you -- or someone else -- know if there is a limit in "classical" Moodle question types such as calculated or numerical questions? And what is that limit in terms of powers of 10 in unit conversion?
In reply to Sylvain Lamige

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Sylvain,

You can easily check it for yourself by doing a few tests. For the Calculated question, unit conversion only works between 1E-19 and 1E+18 (on my platform).
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Sylvain Lamige -
Same for me. Thank you Dominique for this confirmation (I wasn't sure if it came from some bad configuration of mine or if it was a more global limitation), as well as for suggesting the use of the formulas question type to extend (by a lot!) this limitation.