Naming schemes for auto-created groups (3.10)

Naming schemes for auto-created groups (3.10)

by Kerstin Namuth -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

when I auto-create groups with one group for each student (any new students are automatically assigned to new groups), I would like them to display students' firstnames/surnames. The naming schemes available are either numbers or alphabetical letters.

We use these auto-groups to enable teachers to set up individual learning paths by assigning resources and activities to individual students (restrict access unless you are a member of a certain group).

I think there used to be three naming schemes and the student's name option was one of them. Years ago.

Is there any hope the name option will be back, or does anyone have a clever solution to the problem?
Auto-create groups

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kerstin Namuth

Re: Naming schemes for auto-created groups (3.10)

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Kerstin,

Adding the option to auto-create groups by student name was discussed and rejected years ago in MDL-47161, though it seems it had quite some support.

If you'd like it to be reconsidered, feel free to create a new issue for it and link it to MDL-47161. See New feature ideas for suggestions of how to increase the chance of the issue being worked on.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Kerstin Namuth -
Thanks Helen,
yes, I saw the old issue. I followed your advice and have created a new one MDL-70670.

Hope people will vote for it. The demand for individual learning paths (without giving up the advantages of the group) is much greater today that it was when the old issue was discussed.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Kerstin Namuth

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I understand your point, Kerstin, and I voted for the issue.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by C Behan -
Kerstin,
This may help if you are not aware of it:
In reply to C Behan

by Kerstin Namuth -
Thanks a lot C Behan,
that could be useful. In fact, it is very useful when you have a great number of students who all start at the same time and need to be put in different courses and goups and groupings. In our case, however, courses sometimes run for years and individual participants join and finish on a weekly base.