Regrading after instructor mistake in matching question

Regrading after instructor mistake in matching question

by Cris Fuhrman -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I gave a quiz that had random-ordered questions, some of which were matching. One of the matching questions had two mistakes. After reading https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=169249 I get the impression that if I fix the mistake in the question, then regrade, it will change the quiz results. However, there seems to be no effect.

I should point out, too, that the quiz allowed 3 attempts, of which the highest one is kept. I thought regrade would regrade all the attempts and recalculate the best ones. When I run regrade, it says everything was OK, but nothing changes.

I verified the question in the bank is indeed changed correctly.

Is there a way to automatically regrade after this kind of mistake?

Thanks in advance,

Cris

p.s. I just found this bug classified as Major from 2006: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5560 - seems related.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

Re: Regrading after instructor mistake in matching question

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
For almost any other question type, altering the question grading rules then re-grading would work. This is a hard-to-fix flaw in the match question type. See also https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=416673
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Cris Fuhrman -
So, here's my situation and I would like to have advice on how to proceed to make things fair for my students. There was one mistake in the matching question on a quiz for which the students had 3 attempts and the highest grade was kept. It's how I do reading quizzes so students arrive "prepared" to the synchronous part of class.

I think I can figure out how to change the grade of students manually, but it seems like a lot of clicking. Furthermore, it's complicated by the fact that the "best" attempt may not have been the one I need to change. Pretty complicated to do all that by hand, so I'm thinking I will leave it up to students to ask me to change it if they think it's worth it. I will cite the bug from 2006 and this thread. Coincidentally it's a software design course, so I think they'll be sympathetic to the problem from my perspective.
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not sure about matching question and whether you can make a correction and then regrade.

But, in general, is words, what would you like to do about students' grades? There is different logic about what one could want to do?

For example, if a student got your wrong answer right, do you want to subtract a point.  Do you want to give everyone credit for this question, keeping the total the same?  Do you want to make the total quiz worth one less point by removing this question?  
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The simplest 'fair' think you can do is, on the 'Edit quiz' screen, change the mark for that question to 0, so it doest not influence the final score. Then, fix it for next time, if you plan to re-use the question.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)