Database as infrastructure for digital library?

Database as infrastructure for digital library?

by AKMA Adam -
Number of replies: 5

Dear colleagues,

As my institution regroups and digs in to engage the future of distance learning and online teaching, we supposed we might compile a small library of public-domain, open-access vetted resources on which students might draw for reading and research. I thought it might be possible to construct a Database resource to handle essential information relative to each entry, searching, tags, and so on.

Is there a way to make the user interface more handsome than just a bare database? 

Or, have I just misconceived the functions of a Moodle database module?

I don't want to load-shift labour onto you — but if there's a pointer to how one might do such a thing effectively and attractively, I'd be intensely thankful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to AKMA Adam

Re: Database as infrastructure for digital library?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Adam,
Yes, you can make a database activity interface, "more handsome" by redesigning each of the available templates. When you go to a database activity and click the, Templates, tab you will see a new row of tabs. The first four correspond to the first four tabs in the top row. e.g. If I click on the Add template, I will see the default layout for adding a new entry to the database. I can arrange the fields and labels any way that I want to. To test your changes, simply click the Save template button. If you mess things up too much, just go back and hit the Reset template button and start over.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by AKMA Adam -
Thank you, Al! I'm exploring this right now. Inmvestigating how one edits the template as we speak… or 'type'…
In reply to AL Rachels

by AKMA Adam -
All right, I've dug as far as the discussion 'How can I list data horizontally rather than vertically?', and will experiment with some of what I see there after I have my first cup of coffee. Ideally, I'd like to be able to display information over more than one row or column; let's say (with braces rather than square brackets, to avoid linking within Moodle) —

{{Author}}, {{Title}}
{{Description}} (full width of table
{{WorkPDF}}, {{Link}} (to source outside site)
{{Tags}}
{{Areas}}

But for the time being I'll concentrate on populating the collection.
In reply to AKMA Adam

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
With some decent CSS, you can make database lists and entries look very nice.
Attachment 51C27BD0-6A6D-4781-8487-794D7D4986BD.jpeg
Attachment 556714A8-DBA2-46B2-B389-BECA4F0386DF.jpeg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AKMA Adam

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Post a copy of the preset you have in use right now, then maybe we can help you achieve what you want.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)