Restore From Totara - Moodle 3.9+

Restore From Totara - Moodle 3.9+

by Dave Emsley -
Number of replies: 2

Hi All,

I have a problem tryiing to move from a Totara Platform to Moodle with the users intact and all their course enrolments in place.

A simple backup and restore brings all the manually enrolled students across OK but it doesn't bring those enrolled via Totara's "Audience Sync" method. 

Is there a way to:

1) Bring all the users across

OR

2) change them to manual enrolment in Totara to bring them across

Cheers

Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Emsley

Re: Restore From Totara - Moodle 3.9+

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have had experience with helping a couple of users get off a Moodle Partner site to a locally hosted 'plain jane' Moodle before.

MP's gave former customer db dump and moodledata backups but not the code - obvious reasons.

So I had set up a test site using git acquired core code with the DB dump of the MP (as close to the version of core as possible) and the moodledata from MP.

Could login as an admin level as those accounts were manual and then had to visit plugins to see which were missing from disk.   Removed them.

No magic bullets/code exist to reverse engineer me thinks, just a lot of sluething.

IF it's just authentication, one could directly manipulate mdl_users table changing auth column (password reset?). 

Hopefully a student could login but then there would probably be issues with enrollments to courses.   More sluething ... and deep I would imagine.

Tutora's 'claim to fame fork' is multi-tenacy and better reporting so those would be areas to concentrate upon in converting.  Sorry if that is 'Captain Obvious' but ....

Good luck!
'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: Restore From Totara - Moodle 3.9+

by Dave Emsley -
Hi Ken, thanks.

It was actually easier than that to get them over - Import users as all manual instead of using the enrolment methods on the course.

Cheers

Dave