IMPORT Of Questions Word Format --STUCK

IMPORT Of Questions Word Format --STUCK

by Bhupinder Singh -
Number of replies: 13

Hi All,

I have a lot of questions namely MCQ. Fill in the Blanks etc that I want to import into moodle.

Using the format I get an error.

Example Question:

Enzymes (Biocatalyst ) were discovered accidentally in years cell extract by

a) Kuhne

b) Pasteur

c) Buchner

d) Sumner

ANSWER: d

When I import it into the question with single answer I get an error.

I am stuck into process of importing questions that are in word format.

I must be doing something wrong hence look for support from the community to help me in resolving my errors.

Garry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bhupinder Singh

Re: IMPORT Of Questions Word Format --STUCK

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What import format are you trying to use? I suggest you look at the GIFT format if you have a choice. It is the best supported.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Bhupinder Singh -

Thanks for the suggestion. I did download the GIFT  format.

But somehow It does not work with me I may be making a mistake. Could you direct me to the instructions or reads on the said GIFT format??

Garry

by John Rodgers -
Are you saving the file as a text (.txt) file?
In reply to John Rodgers

by Bhupinder Singh -

I saved  in word pad It was RTF  and lead to the problem. On trying with txt extension it loaded well .

Thanks for the feed on the issue.

Look for help on how to add questions for the followign:

Fill in the Blanks

Numerical Questions

Multiple correct answers.

Statement questions (T/F)

Can I be led to the appropriate format (for bulk upload)  to be adopted for loading such questions.

Thansk in advance.

Garry

by John Rodgers -
In your quiz database manager beside import questions from file you will find a help icon (?) which will describe all of the file types, GIFT being the best.  Click on moreonformation about GIFT which will bring about a page of all possibilities.

by Dave Adams -
There's a really nice Microsoft Word template you can use to make a variety of question types in Microsoft Word, then just press a button to export to a text file which Moodle can read as GIFT format.
In reply to Dave Adams

by Lane Grann-Stahl -

Thought I'd mention that I have found this template to be more trouble than it's worth.  It's not that difficult to format questions using GIFT code once you've done a few.  For a new question type, I recommend that you create and import only one question first, so that you can identify errors easily.

Lane
Charlotte, NC

PS - In case it might be useful to you, I've attached a matrix I use in training faculty.  It shows the most common questions in Word format and how they need to be formatted in GIFT for importing, plus some tips I've learned the hard way.

In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Lanae,

Thanks for the Useful Matrix.

My problem is that When I try to add a question into the GIFT format ( Ihave used the sample question that you have in the matrix I get an error.

MY PROCEDURE: (I may be making a mistake in the procedure???)

Open the GIFT WORD CONVERTER. (Using V08a)

Click on the MCQ option

Insert the question

Save the file.( as plain text)

Go to Question and import the Question It works.

HOWEVER if I use the EXPORT to GIFT Function I get ----> Get ERROR (Undefined Question: Illegal Question deleted).

I am unable to put my finger on it. The question I used and its formatting is as under:

Which of the following is a fruit? {

~carrot

~lettuce

=apple

~lettuce

}

What does the EXPORT FUNCTION IN GIFT DO.. (Export the Word Question to GIFT format--{this is my understanding I may be wrong please correct me})..

Look for help in understanding what I am doing wrong and where.

Thanks in advance for your help once again. I guess I have to master the art through your help and other moodlers.

Garry

by Lane Grann-Stahl -

Garry, Your mistake is in using this Word Converter at all. I have tried to use it and have read support docs that indicate it has many quirks and limitations that generate errors when you try to export the questions you create, just as your are experiencing.  It's nothing that you are doing. 

You don't need this "Word converter" to create and import questions in GIFT format. I recommend that you code all of your questions in GIFT syntax by hand--it's just not that complicated once you've done it a few times.

The format of your sample question is perfect EXCEPT that it appears to have blank lines between each element. This is probably just because you didn't hold down the SHIFT key when you added each element of the question in your post. As I say in my little matrix: " NOTE: There MUST be a blank line between questions. There CANNOT be a blank line between a question and the answers. And there MUST be a space between the question and the { I would add that there can't be blank lines separating the answers either. Blank lines are separators between questions.

To test your formatting syntax, save just this one question as a .txt file. Then go into a Moodle course and create a sample quiz (so that the quiz tool is invoked). Go to the Editing Questions screen. Double click on "Import questions from file" and browse to the .txt file you created with your single GIFT question. Note that the default import format is GIFT (at least in our installation it is). Once you've found your file, click on "Upload this file" and your question should appear in a preview screen.

If you get an error, delete that question from the pool and review your question syntax for some subtle error. Common ones are forgetting to leave a space between the question and the { or forgetting one of the brackets.

Good luck!

Lane

by Bhupinder Singh -

Thanks Lane,

Your help has allowed me to overcome all the problems.

I was perhaps a little Lazy looking at just loading the questions in word format and wanting the gift output for uploading.smile

One last questions How do you handle questions in Mathematics. Where equations are to be added.??

Thnaks once again.

Garry

by Lane Grann-Stahl -
Garry, Sorry to take so long...I don't use mathematical questions, so all I can provide to you is the info directly from the GIFT format documentation (the yellow ? beside Import Questions From File on the Editing Quiz page.)  If this isn't enough to solve your proeblems I suggest you do a brand new post that requests help specifically with numerical questions in GIFT format.

Regards,
Lane

"Numerical:
The answer section for Numerical questions must start with a number sign (#). Numerical answers can include an error margin, which is written following the correct answer, separated by a colon. So for example, if the correct answer is anything between 1.5 and 2.5, then it would be written as follows {#2:0.5}. This indicates that 2 with an error margin of 0.5 is correct (i.e., the span from 1.5 to 2.5). If no error margin is specified, it will be assumed to be zero.

When was Ulysses S. Grant born? {#1822}

What is the value of pi (to 3 decimal places)? {#3.1415:0.0005}.

Optionally, numerical answers can be written as a span in the following format {#MinimumValue..MaximumValue}.

What is the value of pi (to 3 decimal places)? {#3.141..3.142}.

Moodle's browser interface does not support multiple numerical answers, but Moodle's code can and so does GIFT. This can be used to specify numerical multiple spans, and can be particularly usefully when combined with percentage weight grades. If multiple answers are used, they must be separated by an equal sign, like short answer questions.

When was Ulysses S. Grant born? {#
=1822:0
=%50%1822:2}

Note that since Moodle's browser GUI doesn't support multiple answers for Numerical questions, there's no way to see them or edit them through Moodle. The only way to change a numerical answer beyond the first, is to delete the question and re-import it (or use something like phpMyAdmin)."

by Jeff Forssell -
Your contribution helped me find some documentation of the numerical questions that i hadn't seen before. cool 
I have felt frustrated that the numerical qustion type didn't have support for feedback for intervals and multiple intervals. (Though the CLOZE numerical did!).

But I see no mention of the possbility of including different units and the accompaning conversion factors. Does anyone know if the GIFT format has any support for that? thoughtful
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Bhupinder Singh -

Why not put up a separate question > I shall do that now.

Garry