Setting up Oauth2 service Google

Setting up Oauth2 service Google

ni Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 28
Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have set up Google Oauth 2 in the past several times. However, I wanted to do this again today and could not do it.

Reason is mainly that the documentation is to old. Everything at Google has changed. I used this documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/OAuth_2_Google_service

Would anyone be willing to update this? Does anyone know a step-by step procedure for setting this up?

Hope this documentation can be updated so it's useful again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Setting up Oauth2 service Google

ni Emma Richardson -
Larawan ng Documentation writers Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers Larawan ng Plugin developers
Well, if you figure it out, you could update it!!! I did not think it had changed that much - where are you getting stuck?
In reply to Emma Richardson

Hi Emma!
Have you checked Google yet? Everything, every screen, every step is completely changed. Also you need to supply a lot more information now (like privacy statements of your organisation etc.)
I have not yet succeeded in setting this up. It also seems Google needs to manually verify steps which will take time.
Just have a look at it. Take a new Moodle and set it up from scratch... you will see the documentation is for about 10% correct.

And how about this from Google?

Security Checkup

Security Checkup might show your app as risky and unverified. When an app is “unverified,” it has not fully completed the OAuth app verification. Depending on the sensitivity of the data being requested, verification might require several months for the app to complete.

ni Ken Task -

Would think one needs to get the web interface working first before testing with the moodle app.

Yes, it's a little different ... there are 3 tabs across the set up of Google IAM.   All three must be completed.  You  mentioned terms of service and privacy statement.   I have made those static web pages (.html) and use the same ones for the sandbox sites (3.5->310) all of them have Google working.  I cheated there and 'borrowed' a tos.html and privacy.html page from a organization for education ... changing the appropriate names/references in the borrowed pages to mine.

One of the tabs has to do with verifying that you own the server/domain via DNS.  They offer adding a txt record to your DNS for the moodle or, perhaps easier and don't have to include DNS server admin, is the option to verfiy ownership via an HTML file at the root of the site ... ie, moodle code.

They don't provide the HTML file ... just describe ... like name it with 'stringname.html' and contained therein a one liner with what appears to be the same verification string.

The other thing I do which in docs say isn't necessary, I have a Google System account to use with IAM.  In the checks for setup, 'System Account Connected' ... which has to be the same one used when first setup.

In versions of Moodle <-310 I have such a system account.  On a 310 I don't have that setup and it works anyway.

Do you get the login screen that comes from Google?  (that shows something like the following)

The  SOSSIG in above screen clip is the name of the IAM I am using.

Can PM you some links to these sandbox sites so you can try them out just to see how they work.   I'll remove your test accounts after you let me know. ;)

As far as keeping docs up to date ... one can edit them.  Will say that I'm not gonna volunteer to do that ... besides ... Google has been known to change things. :|  I already have a job and enough to do. ngiti

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Thanks again Ken for all your useful information.

I have set it up this far:

When clicking on 'advanced' I can continu, but unverified.

I do not understand the message: the title says 'Google did not verify this app'. However, the text below says that I have not verified the app. So which one is it?

And how do I verify the app?

As for documentation: I'm not native English. The language used by Google is not the easiest English for non-natives. When translated to Dutch it reads like a bad Google translate language.

And furthermore: I'm extremely impatient and after a second of 30 reading hard-to-understand-English I loose patience and start clicking away. Trial and error. That makes a very bad manual for someone to follow.

ni Ken Task -

Know things can get frustrating ... and that includes future endeavors ... but step back a minute and take some time away from it.   I used to have an exit door from my server room that opened to an outside walkway and I would step out there from time to time and scream or shout to release frustration.  After pausing and reflecting, back to thinking what to try next, and after becoming more calm, back to keyboard.

This 'haste makes waist' ... is true! ;)

Question: do you have a Google Edu domain?   I see what looks to be a personal email .biz domain.  Your .biz and an entities Google Domain aren't same .... how about setting up a system account in Google ... using your entities email address ... the stuff after the @ - or if you don't have a Google Edu a gmail address of some sort controlled by the entity ... not personal.

dig vaniwaarden.biz -t MX doesn't exist in DNS.

Maybe that's why can't verify??

dig vaniwaarden.biz does - and shows an IP address that appears to be a virtual system (webhostingserver.nl) and does have smtp port (25) open but don't think anything Google talks port 25 ... in or out.

Now onto other responses.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Hi Ken!
We don't have a Google Edu domain. Vaniwaarden.biz is a personal server, but has nothing to do with this. I'm trying to get things started on learn.hz.nl which is the Moodle installation at our University.

BTW: I also have a direct door to the outside here. It helps from time to time ngiti

ni Ken Task -

In looking at my setup (not a google edu), towards the bottom this info.

That appears to be what you are seeing.

As you saw by other shared screen shot, my server setup is not for an entity ... and I have a 100 user cap ... of which I have used 24 users.   I have on one server an instance for a 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8,  3.9, and 3.10 and I have two accounts using Google Oauth in each of those instances.  Have also a GCE instance of a moodle - it also has 2 gmail domain users set up to admin the moodle and use Google Oauth2 for the authentication app (consent).

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Found some more info out here, trial and error. I have to add 'scopes' (whatever they are).

How do I know which 'scopes' to add?

ni Ken Task -

Is that a Google Edu domain?

Looks like you have active Google Drive ... which is what you need to have turned on and available in the setup to use Google Files in Moodle ... which won't be typical links such as somefab.doc ... but url's, me thinks.

In set up of Moodle for Oauth2 using Google ... where you enter secret/keys
There are 2 boxes for scopes.
Default for both are: openid profile email
** for drive add a URL: https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive

Saw that in Moodle docs somewhere and at one time in past.   Appears to work. ;)

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Yes, that worked perfectly for me in the past. But now, if you want to use the auth/drive api from Google, you need to give them a lot of information. I'm still in this proces. Even the documentation Google has sent me does no longer match the current interface. That's what you get if you change it constantly I guess.

I have had this working in the past, even for learn.hz.nl. It was pretty easy to set up. Now this has become horrible. Nothing to do with Moodle though, it's all Google.

ni Ken Task -

Use the same API project you had used for learn.hz.ni before?

What email address had that been associated with?  I would assume an hz.nl address - something used for network/server for your entity ... not for an individual/personal (.biz).   Reason being ... you might leave hz.nl and the new person responsible for the Moodle needs access to that API project.

I once got involved with a K12 entity that had a moodle and wanted to use Google's Oauth2.   In order to do that where it stayed in control of the entity, I had the admin of that K12 entity set me up with a Google Admin level for their Google Edu - thus had a ktask@entity email address which was under the entities control.

The app really is just the authentication.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Use the same API project you had used for learn.hz.ni before?

Yes, that was also my idea so I'm doing that now. That's also the reason that I used my @biz address, I'm sure it has been working with this mail address before.

I could do it with my @hz mail address, but then I really need to start from scratch.

In reply to Ken Task

Well... to add more headache: I need to make an YouTube video in English explaining what I want:

Are you serious Google? All I want is my students to be able to upload something from Google Drive...

ni Ken Task -

Don't need YouTube.   Can upload videos ... webm, mp4 and one can link to them in Moodle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5gmU8YqbNJQdHRxMDdQXzRJZ2M/view?usp=sharing

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Ken, that's not the point. They want me to record a video in which I show why I need to use Oauth, how I need to use it, how I connect this to Moodle, etc. It's for verification/monitoring what I'm doing.

ni Ken Task -

Vaniwaarden.biz is a personal server, but has nothing to do with this

This: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=416645#p1679041
shows you are trying to set up an app and the .biz address is shown.

Mind sharing what links Google provided you?

https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/OAuth_2_Google_service

shows 2 tabs of 3 .. the one missing from the moodle doc is Domain Verification

In the link above:

App verification

NOTE: If you are just using this for document conversion you will not need to verify (as it only uses one account). You will, however, need to verify your ownership of your domain (see, [1])
The Google Drive repository and Google Drive converter also require the app to be verified by completing the OAuth Developer Verification Form. The list of scopes that Moodle requires are:

openid profile email https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive

https://support.google.com/code/contact/oauth_app_verification

'SoS', Ken

Attachment Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.28.00 AM.png
In reply to Ken Task

Google has sent me this:

Step 3 is not correct: there's no option 'Credentials' on the 'Oauth Consent Screen'.

These are separate menu items:

More annoying: neither the page 'credentials' nor the page 'Oauth consent screen' allow me to enter a homepage URL (as stated in intructions)

Credentials page:

Oauth consent screen:

'the Learn more' link just goes to instructions....

ni Ken Task -

If I am understanding Google ... your moodle site is at the root of that web server.  All must login before seeing anything ... including Google to check for terms of service, privacy, and domain confirmation pages.

So ... suggestion ... use Custom Menus at the top of the front page.   Those show logged in or not.   Google can and fill follow them.

Custom menu item: TOS (terms of service) points to a static (not part of Moodle content) html page: tos.html.   That file is directly accessible by anyone: https://site/tos.html .... Google can access.

Do same for privacy.html and the google domain verification file which is something like wqerasdhiwerawdh.html.

In Google config ... https://site/tos.html ... https://site/privacy.html

The contents of those static pages would have to be reviewed by your 'legal beagles'/admins of entity, etc. and approved am sure, but Google happy/Entity Powers that Be happy, you are happy (that it works) and students as well.

A bit more sharing ... I have my moodles in directories ... but the tos.html and privacy.html and googleverification page is at document root along with a static page for navigating the site to the various sandbox moodles that do use Google Oauth2.

The one thing you would have to remember when updating or upgrading,  since your code is @ doc root is to copy config.php/plugins etc. AND the static pages back into code root.

Fingers crossed!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

ni Ken Task -

Follow up ... you didn't mention but a big factor ...

Your site is forcing to a SAML page for logging in via another server @ fs.other.nl

You have plenty of room in the 'big blue square' of that page for links to static pages for TOS, Privacy, and Google domain verification back on the moodle server itself.

Google should be able to see those, follow those, and thus you get those items Google requires 'checked off'! ngiti

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Good point, but I have no control over the SAML page. It logs in to many applications, not just Moodle, the only thing I was allowed to add was the text bottom right for external Moodle users (the ones that don't do SAML)
In reply to Ken Task

Hi Ken,

If I am understanding Google ... your moodle site is at the root of that web server.  All must login before seeing anything ... including Google to check for terms of service, privacy, and domainconfirmation pages.

I fixed this by making the links to the privacy & terms of user all to www.hz.nl. This has the privacy-statement for our organisation.

The google verification posed no problems, I've put it in learn.hz.nl which worked perfectly. So domain is verified.

Still... Google does not allow my connection. 'App' (read: learn.hz.nl) remains unverified.

ni Emma Richardson -
Larawan ng Documentation writers Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers Larawan ng Plugin developers
Oh I do remember all that now. It did take time for Google to verify but it did work in the meantime (just unverified).

I'm at the point of giving up on this after receiving yet another mail from Google:

Hi,

Your app needs to follow some extra requirements so you can continue with verification. Please reply directly to this email when your app meets all of these requirements:

Privacy Policy Requirements

Under the Google API Service: User Data Policy, your privacy policy must follow these guidelines: 

• The privacy policy is hosted by the domain of your website.
  • The privacy policy is accessible from the app’s home page.
  • The privacy policy is visible to users.
  • The privacy policy is linked to the OAuth consent screen on the Google API Console 
  • The privacy policy and in-product privacy notifications clearly describe the way your application accesses, uses, stores, or shares Google user data. 
  • The way you use Google user data is limited to what you've described in your privacy policy.
  • The privacy policy contains verified domains and accessible URL links.

App Demonstration Video

Respond directly to this email with a YouTube video link that meets these requirements:

• Video is publicly accessible.
  • OAuth Consent Screen is in English.
  • OAuth Consent Screen shows the App Name.
  • URL bar of the OAuth Consent Screen fully displays the Client ID in your project which contains the project_number (This is not required for native Android and iOS apps).
  • Video shows the OAuth grant process that users will go through.
  • Video shows how the data will be used by showing functionality for each sensitive and restricted scope you've requested.
  • Video shows how data is accessed on each OAuth client.

Extra App Demonstration Video Tips

• If any of your OAuth clients are not ready for production, you should delete or remove them from this project. You can do this in the Google Cloud Console
  • If your app requires registration or has a local login: 
    • Please whitelist or authorize our test email account oauthtest121@gmail.com - this will let us test your app’s functionality.
    • OR provide us with the username and password of a test account.
  • You do not need to be personally visible in the demo or narrate the video. Demonstrating the process from the keyboard/screen view is fine.
  • If you cannot fulfill the above requirements because users are currently seeing the "Sign in disabled" screen, make sure you provide us with an email address so that we can temporarily disable the warning screen, allowing you to demonstrate all of the above video requirements.
  • If you cannot fulfill the above requirements because your app is an add-on that has not yet been published to the GSuite Marketplace, please reply to let us know. 

You must follow these requirements to continue with verification. If you don't follow these requirements, we may have to reject your request.

You can find more information in the OAuth Application Verification FAQ.

To make sure we don't miss your messages, reply directly to this email to continue with the verification process.  Any new email sent to api-oauth-dev-verification@google.com won't go to our team.

Thanks,

The Google Cloud Trust & Safety Team

I'm not willing to create a video for this and upload it to youtube. To bad, this used to work pretty easy...

No Google-Drive for us. We will stay on Microsoft.

ni Ken Task -

Shame!  So gonna stay with the Microsoft 'kraken' and not change to/add the Google 'kraken' ....

This item:

The privacy policy is hosted by the domain of your website.

'domain' mis-understanding ... 'website' mis-understanding?

top level domain .... hz.nl

learn.hz.nl is a subdomain of top domain ... technically DNS wise ... for practical purposes (and for Google) consider 'learn' to be a host or a server ... ie, your 'learn', but it is a domain.   learn is the only host in that subdomain.  One could have, if they wanted to, a moodle2.learn.hz.nl.

www.hz.nl is also a subdomain of top level domain ... practical ... a host or server.  www historically the 'web site'.  Many folks today, just use top level domain and have dropped the 'www'.

Translation: Privacy Policy is hosted by the domain of your 'moodle' site ... learn.hz.nl ... and not www.hz.nl.

Same with terms of service, 'domain' verification file ... has to be on learn.hz.nl and not another server.

From that point forward (hosted by the domain of your website), because files not on your learn.hz.nl, the rest of the requirements go astray and thus ... domino effect .... failure to verify, etc. and eventually leads to the requirement for the video.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

I have one more idea. I think we have an old, unused, G-suite for hz.nl.
Let's see if that works better than my vaniwaarden.biz

Also, if you have G-suite you can make it an 'internal' app. That makes less hassle.

It's weird things have changed that much. Like I said, I have done this numerous times with Google. Never had much trouble. I think two years ago I used their pdf-conversion using Google Drive (and my vaniwaarden.biz account). No problems at all.

Must be the strict GDPR in EU?

ni Jason Hollowell -
Richard, all,

Wow! I ran into the same hurdle today after having had to migrate a Moodle site to a new domain. I'm now frazzled and frustrated to the extent that I think I'm just going to give up on Google and be satisfied with OneDrive and Dropbox repositories. What a ridiculous pain in the (*&^. I'm not sure that I understand why Google thinks it is necessary to make the process so convoluted and confusing.

For example, I get the message:

"Verification not required

Your consent screen is being shown, but your app has not been reviewed so your users may not see all of your information, and you will not be able to request certain OAuth scopes. Learn more"

So if "verification is not required" what in the world is "review" and who accomplishes the review process? A document I found somewhere else, in the myriad of circularly linked help documents Google has provided, indicates that I have to review the app....by clicking on "Edit App" which I did. I then navigate through that process checking that all necessary fields are filled....add all non-sensitive scopes because adding others, I'm told by their documentation, results in the need for verification....go to the end "Option info" section where I don't enter anything...because it's optional, right smile and click on "Save and continue".

Still get the "Google hasn't verified this app" message...even though Google tells me verification is not required (see above). I can of course allow the exception and things work fine but I cannot ask or expect my students to add exceptions...

I'm giving up for now. Maybe I'll come back again when I have more energy and patience. wink

Cheers
Jason
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 14.05.51.png
In reply to Jason Hollowell

I have given up on it as well.

ni Fayçal Belab -

Hi all,

We have been trying to obtain the Oauth2 consent for our platform offeaze.co

We are currently using 2 of the services 'Sign Up' + 'Google API Calendar' provided by Google and were unable to validate our App with Google even though we exchanged more than 10 videos.

Every time they revert back to us, they ask us for different information (that sometimes were NEVER requested) and we are unable to get a call to talk to a human there to assist us. 
It feels we have each time a different person jumping in the conversation bringing a different matter on the table. 

I was wondering if any of you could help us with regard to that in order to validate our app. 

Would happy to jump on a quick visio call !

Thanks a lot in advance,

Fayçal