How to auto-enrol users in course through LTI

How to auto-enrol users in course through LTI

by Niels Walet -
Number of replies: 1

We are using our moodle as an LTI provider for blackboard (for certain assessments).

We would like to populate all of the users from the blackboard course before they first click the link to moodle (some of our students need extra time on their tests). I would guess the 'Publish as LTI tool users sync' would take care of that, but it does not.

Is there something wrong with my understanding, or is there another problem: the sync service is up and running.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Niels Walet

Re: How to auto-enrol users in course through LTI

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Niels,

Apologies for the late response. I've just started taking care of this forum and am working through a number of old posts still.

The short answer to your question is 'Yes' (sort of). It is possible to sync users before the students themselves launch the tool from the consumer site, however, this doesn't really add much because access to the shared resource is dependent on the resource link launch, at which point roles are assigned and access granted. There is a comment way back on the issue that introduced role sync that highlights this limitation: See here. The member sync task is perhaps most useful when revoking access to the resource, when the platform/consumer enrolments change, or the provider's enrolment method end date is reached.

I suspect your use case needs some further unpacking too. You mention extra time on tests but I'm curious how you see that working. Is early access to the resource not something you can control (via access control to the resource link for example) on the consumer site?

Jake