Accessibility for visually impaired for file uploader, and mobile devices

Accessibility for visually impaired for file uploader, and mobile devices

by Simon Lewis -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding moodle being accessible for a visually impaired student. How other people have accommodated this, and advice in general would be appreciated.

1. An issue we've come across is the file uploader. When a student uploads a submission using the drag and drop, the file uploader appears nicely, and a screen reader can just about read the progress (albeit reading out the progress every second). But our student can't use drag and drop, so uses the file uploader. But then there is no progress bar, and nothing can be read out by a screenreader. Has anyone found a work around for this? eg an external browser plugin?

2. Our student also uses their mobile for a lot of their work (they have a laptop too, but at the moment are more comfortable using their mobile). This is obviously very different to using a laptop, but (especially in the current climate) I imagine more and more students using mobile devices for moodle. Are their apps for screen readers on mobile that work well with moodle? (for info we don't have the moodle app at the moment). 

thanks,

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Lewis

Re: Accessibility for visually impaired for file uploader, and mobile devices

by Jun Pataleta -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Simon. Jun here from Moodle HQ. I'll try to answer your queries...

Re: 1 - You're correct. There's currently no progress bar when you upload a file through the file uploader. At the moment, uploading a file through the file uploader only shows a loading icon during the process. I don't think that the upload's progress is being tracked through this upload method. Given this, I don't think that there would be tools that can track and announce the progress of the upload. It would probably be a good idea to implement the progress bar, just like in the drag and drop method. This would also make the user interface consistent for both upload methods. Please feel free to create a feature request issue for this in the Moodle Tracker.

Re: 2 - I am not aware of screen reader apps for mobile devices. However, mobile devices usually have built-in features for accessibility. More information can be found in the following pages:
We try to make Moodle accessible as possible and strive to meet the WCAG 2.1 Level AA accessibility guidelines. There may be some areas in Moodle that still need to be improved in terms of accessibility, but if a page meets the accessibility requirements on the desktop version, then it should most likely meet the accessibility requirements in the mobile version and should work okay with the mobile device's built-in accessibility features.

Hope these help!
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Jun Pataleta

by Simon Lewis -
thanks for your reply. Yes, very helpful.
I've put in a feature improvement request here https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-70623
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Simon Lewis

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I use readspeaker on my site - Allows for screen reading Moodle specially whether in mobile or laptop and I've been very satisfied with it. You can click play to read everything or just read a selection of text

Average of ratings: Useful (1)