password, invalid characters

password, invalid characters

by Velson Horie -
Number of replies: 2

Using Excel's random character generator for the various types of required characters, I create passwords in an Excel file that is then converted to a csv file for manual enrolment of students.

The list I uploaded appears to have corrupted the upload process, particularly after a pw ending in \ but a password beginning with \ seems not to have created a problem.

I have seen an abbreviated list of recommended character types.

Are there any invalid characters and their usage for pws?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Velson Horie

Re: password, invalid characters

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Slashes are legal characters in passwords. You can verify this yourself by manually changing the password of a test user. \Password1\ for example.

The issue will be with the upload file format. I have not found an issue with punctuation in the csv user upload file. But, on the other hand, I have found many times that csv output directly from Excel is badly formatted. I usually just open the csv file in a real text editor, then immediately save it again. Then it uploads fine.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Randy Thornton

Re: password, invalid characters

by Velson Horie -
Thank you.
I have tried changing existing passwords incorporating different punctuation, which worked fine.
We have had a rash of unaccepted passwords, so I shall follow your advice.
Excel is wonderful - but I wonder (slightly) what Excel does to keep its files proprietary.