Multiple versions of a resource (html, pdf, audio)

Multiple versions of a resource (html, pdf, audio)

by Carl Keil -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I have a topic based course with 8 topics that each have about 8-10 "lectures" in the form of pdf's.  I want to adapt the pdf's to HTML format for ease of use, but still keep the pdf's available as "printable" versions.  Also, for some of the courses I want to include mp3 readings of the chapter.  (It's a music course, so the mp3's convey some information that's hard to glean from reading the text alone.)  Can anyone think of a user friendly way to list the HTML/PDF/MP3 links to the same resource?  In a way that doesn't make the page 3 times longer than it already is?

For reference, here is the page I'm talking about:
http://borntogroove.org/course/view.php?id=2&topic=all

So, for something like Section 4, Simple Salsa I'd like to make the pdf, HTML, and MP3 available, with pretty icons (perhaps) all on one line.  (as easily as possible, of course.)

Any thoughts?  I know I can "brute force" it using a label and calls to img tags and links to the resources, but I'm hoping there's a trick for doing it quickly and easily.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions,

ck

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carl Keil

Re: Multiple versions of a resource (html, pdf, audio)

by Art Lader -
Hi, Carl,

Someone else will probably think of something more elegant, but I would just make a web page resource and link to the various versions from ther.

Anyone have a cooler idea?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Amy Groshek -
I would store the resources in my files in Moodle by topic/week, and create a directory to display the topic's files, or else write a list of web links to the various formats on a single web page, located in the topic. If you don't care for the directory, however, it makes no difference whether you use an external web site or the moodle files, that I know of.

Quickly and easily, in my mind, says directory, but I don't think icons will show in that case. Might be worth checking out.

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Carl Keil -
I'll try that and see how it looks.  Thanks. 
(I think I'm forestalling the inevitable though.  I know I can do exactly what I want with a label.  (is that the right term)  Probably after I set up the first one they'll be quick and easy to do, too.)
ck
In reply to Carl Keil

by Just H -
Hi Carl

Not sure if this would work or if it's even feasible having never tried it but I was thinking that multiple formats of the same thing is a pain when it comes to version control and updating (from experience in publishing!).

So, off the top of my head, might be worth investigating some of the html-pdf scripts out there (such as HTMLDOC - no endorsement as just did a quick google but will give you an idea. Note, there is an open source version hiding here.)

Thoughts being:
  • rather than multiple links, one html page per topic with embedded mp3s using one of the tabbed themes or book module
  • one source file to maintain/update making things easier for the admin side of things (html)
  • if pdf required, user can print (convert) on as needs basis
  • hopefully (haven't looked) the pdf created would maintain links to mp3s
Like I said, more a train of thought dump rather than concrete help but may have possibilities. There are a few on the fly pdf creators out there, pretty sure must be one that would suit.

Regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Carl Keil -
That's  great suggestion.  With all the Word docs and pdf's complete and me just needing to create the HTML now, it seems like a long way around for what the next stage, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for when (not if) the perpetual updates start rolling in.

ck

In reply to Carl Keil

by Richard Treves -
The way I solve a similar problem is to have the .htm as the 'master' file but at the top of it offer a link to the  .pdf alternative.  You could use a little flash player at the top too that plays the relevant .mp3

Rich