Edit is not opened

Edit is not opened

by Fereshteh Hamidian -
Number of replies: 13

I have added some HTML codes in Moodle. Now I want to edit the codes. However, when I click on the Edit, it does jump and it does not open.

Is there any way to edit the HTML codes, or delete the resource? I could not find Administration to tell you the Moodle version and sorry about that

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fereshteh Hamidian

Re: Edit is not opened

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Version is found in Site Admin menu, Notifications.

You will have to provide some more information about what you did and how.   If you added codes to moodle core code via text editor via command line then ????

And about your 'bump' to this message .... tis almost 10:00 PM on Saturday where I live ... just happened to check email.   Support provided in this community is voluntary and no one is paid to do so ... thus no one on the clock and working here!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Fereshteh Hamidian -
Sorry about that. I do not have a site admin to check the version. I think I use the new version   I have added HTML codes via a text editor (edit setting </>) . Can you help?

by Ken Task -

You have to provide where/how you added the html causing issues.

In a course ... was it a page resource in the course?   Was it in the course description?

There are many places where one could add html tags.

Since you are not admin level user, you still might need to involve that person in coming to a resolution.   That person does probably have backend database access where all of moodle added html is stored.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Fereshteh Hamidian -
Thanks, Ken
yes, it is a resource in the course. Using "Add an activity or resource", I have generated a new label. Next, I add the HTML Codes. Now I cannot open editing to revise the codes.

Does this help?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there. Try the steps in the documentation I am no longer able to edit a label. What can I do? in the Label FAQ (click that link)

by Ken Task -

The video provided was about version 1.9.x of moodle.   Code has changed since then ... it's the same process in the video, just what one finds in looking at the source or the course page, the variables to the label are not right next to one another.    Thus adjust and continue to seek the the ID number of the label in the course.

Could search for the title you gave the label ...

So you gave the label a title of some sort ... text ... what did you call it and is that text visible in viewing course page?

Do you have FireFox and under the tools menu of FF, an option to 'view source'?

If so, do that.

Source will be a lot of html.   Do a 'find' while viewing the page source.

Try to find the line that had what you called the label.

You are looking for the ID number of that label.

Alt ... do a find and this time look for the resource type... search for "activity label"

That should find line(s) that contains the following:
"activity label modtype_label " and after that along the line an id # ... *like* "module-4"

Use that *ID number* (just the number) in url you have to construct/make in the URL line of a new tabbed window

**Something like ** (you have to change things inbetween []' in example provided):

https://[yoursite]/course/modedit.php?update=[idnumberoflabel]&return=0&sr=0

If you get the wrong ID number, cancel ... and try the next id number you found if the course page has multiple label resources.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -

Correction/Clarification to above instructions for 'alt'.

Where above I shared ...

"(you have to change things inbetween []' in example provided)"

should have said replace the []'d text including the []'s with your url to site and the number of the label module to edit.

Now it's my turn ... BUMP!   Have you been successful now? smile

Next step ... open a text file on your local computer.   Copy and paste the HTML you are using in the text file.   Save the text file as 'myhtml.txt'.  Come back to these thread and attach your 'myhtml.txt' file so we can also see what HTML you are trying to use.

And a question ... are we using HTML converted from a MS Word .doc or .docx?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ken Task -

And another 'follow up' ... IF course cannot be used by students and if can you make a backup of the course.   In the backup process - no users - select only the labels you can not edit.  The backup file name will have '-nu-' in it's file name, but you might add '-labelsonly-' so you won't confuse any backups you might have stored locally.

Attach here in forums or send me a private message here with a url where I could acquire the .mbz file (the backup) and inspect it.

OR another larger alt ... if you can backup and restore courses ... make a full backup of the course with users but minus the label resources and restore it to your server by a slightly different name - not overwriting the original course.   This only if the original course is currently un-usable.

Could check out the restored course, and if working as expected, then hide the other ... after changing it's name/shortname to 'Something broken' ... and rename the restored course the same as the old (so students can find it).

'SoS', Ken