Show-Your-Work to Discourage Students Cheating Online

Show-Your-Work to Discourage Students Cheating Online

by Tom Worthington -
Number of replies: 3

Is there a way for Moodle to timestamp student's work, to show they took notes and prepared drafts over a set period of days or weeks? The idea would be to get students out of the notion they can just do work shortly before a deadline.

I realize I could scaffold the work and chop it up into little assignments and other tasks, each with deadline, but I don't to be that prescriptive. Also I considered a Wiki, as that has time stamps and version control. But Moodle's wikis do not appear to allow binary attachments.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Worthington

Re: Show-Your-Work to Discourage Students Cheating Online

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you considered using the Diary plugin?

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Tom,

Is this a matter of finding the right tool, or creating the right instructional design and learning tasks? To me, it would make sense to break your design down into smaller portions that you could release on a time/date or completion condition. Something like this:

Prep task 1 - Read ==> complete if viewed
Prep task 2 - Reflect on reading (using a forum) ==> complete once posted and replied to peer
Prep task 3 - Quiz (formative assessment) ==> complete once grade received
Final task - Assignment, access condition Prep Tasks have to be completed

Shouldn't be too hard to create, and this would help you have some control over what your students are doing. Also, the activity completion report would give you some idea of which students would need additional support.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In the analogue days we had the concept of one's own summary of what he has learned. Ideally done as the course progressed, naturally on paper. Often students were allowed to take their own summary to the exam - in extreme cases, it was the only document allowed during the exam.

Are you looking for the digital equivalent? AL's suggestion is the one-to-one translation. Here the summary becomes an activity of its own. The method Joost proposed is the modern "instructional design" approach. It eliminates the "journal" alltogether, but forces the students to do those tasks through https://docs.moodle.org/en/Activity_completion.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)